Author Topic: Esztergom, Hungary, Danube Bridge Token  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
Esztergom, Hungary, Danube Bridge Token
« on: September 17, 2012, 07:41:17 AM »
Another uncataloged bridge token found on eBay.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: Esztergom, Hungary, Danube Bridge Token
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 08:40:17 AM »
The history of the region and the bridge gives us some pointers as to age.

Before 1920, both banks of the Danube at that point were Hungarian (part of the Austro-Hungarian empire), as were they between 1938 and whenever the Soviet Union occupied the area towards the end of WW2. The Párkányi Híd / Most Márie Valérie / Maria Valeria Bridge was built in 1893, destroyed in 1919 and rebuilt in the early 20s, but was destroyed again in 1944 and not then rebuilt until 2001. There is no evidence of any toll currently in operation on Google Earth.

Therefore your token must date to between 1893 and 1919 or between 1938 and 1944. For the period between 1923 when the bridge was rebuilt and 1938, I would have expected some evidence that half of the bridge was (Czecho-)slovakian in the text on the token.

(As I say, there's no toll booths there now. I don't know whether there might have been on the new bridge between 2001 and when Hungary and Slovakia both joined the Schengen area in 2007, but as said I'd expect some Slovakian on the token if it dated from that recently. I have been to Esztergom but it was in the 1990s before the bridge was rebuilt.)