News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Irish Cigarette Machine Operators Association (ICMOA)

Started by malj1, September 15, 2012, 02:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

In 1984 Naas Vending Services were instrumental in forming The Irish Cigarette Machine Operators Association.

NVS was formed in 1972 as a part-time business, vending cigarette in pubs, hotels etc in the north Kildare area, Ireland. 

In 2003 NVS designed and arranged the manufacture and supply of the token approved by the Dept of Health to control access to cigarette by minors. [under 18's] Overview of Legislation

The token, which has no monetary value, is needed to enable the machine to accept money and this token is only be available from staff on the premises.

Prior to the insertion of the token, the machine will simply reject all coins until token has been inserted.  Once the machine has dispensed the pack of cigarettes the machine will again revert to requiring token.  Tokens are available in quantities of 500 and will work in all cigarette machines on the market.

ICMOA ADULTS ONLY same both sides, Cu-Ni, 20.4mm [PM m/mark]
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Interesting echo of this thread. Since the token is not holed, it would presumably be marginally easier to find some coin of the same dimensions - if the hole was used as a security feature in the first place. I also wonder if the vending machines checked magnetism, but suspect not. It is in the interest of the tobacco sellers to hook the young early and get them addicted quickly.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

In fact both the Irish 5.5g and the Dutch 5.9g tokens are identical in size and thickness, so apart from the hole they are interchangeable, both are nonmagnetic. The makers do seem confident that the machine will simply reject all coins until token has been inserted.

BTW these tokens are sometimes wrongly attributed to the Illinois Coin Machine Operators Association who use the same acronym ICMOA.
Malcolm

malj1

Another cigarette machine token - this time in English, I believe for use in the US.

Brass, 20.4mm., 5.8g; PM m/m on obverse.
Malcolm

malj1

I am now unsure whether the mint-mark, on each of these, should in fact be read as FM for Franklin Mint
Malcolm

Figleaf

Maybe not. Could it be P (as in "Pobjoy") M?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

I have changed it back to Pobjoy mint  PM see here

Nevertheless if you inspect that image above with a magnifying glass you would swear its an F  ???
Malcolm