Author Topic: Making coins  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
Making coins
« on: June 29, 2008, 03:27:47 AM »

Dale

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
Re: Making coins
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 03:34:12 AM »
another

&feature=related

Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 07:54:52 PM »
Always interesting to see. Thanks, Dale. However, I would have preferred seeing the production process of circulation coins. Not as commercially attractive, but much more spectacular, especially at the minting stage. Today's presses are so fast that if the protective cover is removed from the press, coins are spewed to the other end of the room.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 09:37:38 PM »
I found these most interesting, and have forwarded the links to NZ's own online forum, http://nzcca.com/forum.  The reference to having to wipe the blanks dry to avoid water marks when striking was interesting, as some keen researchers have been finding all kinds of streaks on our circulating coins (particularly the 1999 5c, struck in South Africa), which have been usually attributed to oil on the dies, but now I'm starting to wonder ...

Also the second mint, Mayer Mint - there seems to be some confusion as to whether this is the same as B.H. Mayer's Kunstprägeanstalt (I had a look at some contributions on a German forum about this); again, this is of interest as BHM has had the contract for some recent New Zealand NCLT issues.

Martin
NZ