Author Topic: Shah Jahan III. 1/4 Rupee. Mint Surat (off-flan). RY Ahd.  (Read 361 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Shah Jahan III. 1/4 Rupee. Mint Surat (off-flan). RY Ahd.
« on: August 19, 2017, 01:32:48 PM »
A rare 1/4 rupee of the Surat mint issued during or rather in the name of Shah Jahan III. Weight 2.86 g.

Our expert, Oesho has, in an article published in the JONS some time back deducted that these issues, where there are posthumous dates (1175 onward) with RY Ahd, may be products of the Bhaunagar mint. 

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Shah Jahan III. 1/4 Rupee. Mint Surat (off-flan). RY Ahd.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 06:48:15 AM »
Congratulations on adding another rarity to your collection. Actually, I was surprised that there aren't more posthumous issues. It seems that many successions ended up in civil war between the sons. Mint cities would normally not want to be involved (unless the local governor has explicitly taken sides) and avoid issuing any coins supporting one candidate or another. One obvious way out would be a posthumous issue. Maybe there are few of those because the mint cities used another solution: frozen dates? They would hide their preference or lack of it even better, but create administrative problems.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 09:10:04 AM »
... Actually, I was surprised that there aren't more posthumous issues. It seems that many successions ended up in civil war between the sons. Mint cities would normally not want to be involved (unless the local governor has explicitly taken sides) and avoid issuing any coins supporting one candidate or another. One obvious way out would be a posthumous issue. Maybe there are few of those because the mint cities used another solution: frozen dates? They would hide their preference or lack of it even better, but create administrative problems.
Well, Peter, in this case, it was not as simple. As deducted by Jan, the issue was simple commerce. The Thakur of Bhaunagar, who was in no way involved in any succession issues, decided to make some money ........ on the sly and minted coins with the mint name Surat (which was then under the Nawab of Surat under the control of Bombay Presidency (British).

Congratulations on adding another rarity to your collection.
Thanks, Peter, I understand that this is the first known quarter rupee of Shah Jahan III with the mint name Surat.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 02:24:17 PM »
I haven't seen any earlier than this!! Excellent coin!
Dr.Abhishek