News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

Lost Kingdom of Characene

Started by Ancientnoob, September 14, 2012, 06:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancientnoob

Figured you guys might like this....The kingdom of Characene was located near the mouth of the Tigris River at the head of the Persian Gulf, in what is now Modern Kuwait, southern Iraq and Bahrain. In antiquity the Kingdom of Characene was a subjected, semi-autonomous sub kingdom of Parthia. The capitol of The Kingdom of Characene was Charax-Spasinou a major sea trading port between the Mesopotamia and the lands of the far east and India. Characene was the name given to this land by the Ptolemies and Pliny as a geopolitical description of that region. The kingdom was founded in about BC 126 and lasted until the collapse of Parthian civilization in 224 AD.The Kingdom of Characene would not survive as an autonomous state as it had during the collapse of the The Kingdom of the Seleucids. Very little remains of this Kingdom much of the information about them is derived from their surviving...tetradrachms!!

Attambelos I (c. BC 47-24)
AR 27.6mm Tetradrachm (12.41g)
c.BC 44-40
Obverse: Diademed bust of Attambelos
Reverse: Hercules on stool, holding famous club. BASIL? ATTAMB? O THP (The Seleucid date is lost to time, it would have been located in exergue.)

Sources:
Wikipedia
The Encyclopedia Iranica

"Trajan, the Roman emperor, visited Charax in 116 AD, during his invasion of Parthia, and watched the ships leaving for India. He reportedly lamented the fact that he was not younger so that he could, like Alexander, have gone there himself."
"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius

Figleaf

Like it? I love it. There's the high relief and the competent sculpturing to admire, the history of the kingdom to look up in Wikipedia, there's wondering about Characene and Saracenes. The only problem is that I should have worked!

As for Traianus, he usually came uninvited and in the company of a large number of armed men, not as a tourist.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Ancientnoob

Pete,

I can always count on your response. Its always a pleasure to have fans......especially in an age of Air Conditioners. Thanks.  ;D
"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius