Author Topic: Neat Sikh Temple Token  (Read 5648 times)

Offline statmatics

• CoinQuest
Neat Sikh Temple Token
« on: September 14, 2012, 02:20:07 AM »
Look at this neat Temple Token. The picture was sent to me by a guy names Narendra. The picture appears at this link:

http://statmatics.com/for_world_of_coins/

I have 3 questions for the experts on this forum:

1. Is this a genuine token, minted on the date specified? To me it looks genuine, minted in the 1800s. Others I've seen look much more modern, like this one:

http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=4443

2. What is the date on the token?

3. Can you give me an idea of retail value?

[Aside: 65KB is kinda small for an individual attachment.]

Edit: Image added after resizing.

Thanks,
Paul Richards
CoinQuest
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:15:11 AM by engipress »

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
Re: Neat Sikh Temple Token
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 02:40:16 AM »
Let me first say that I have no particular expertise in Temple Tokens but I do know tokens that look like brothers of this one. This may be original, but I fear that it's repro or fake.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 03:53:06 AM »
Reproduction or not, it is still a nice looking token.
Dale

paisepagal

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 04:06:36 AM »
The date on the token is indeed 1804. I thought the legend might say "Sant Kartar" which means saint Kartar. But I know nothing about these tokens To say anything further

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 05:14:17 AM »
I have added the image here, after resizing.

All I can say that it is very difficult to tell whether it is Genuine by just looking at the image. Chandani Chowk footpaths (in Old Delhi) are full of these tokens, mostly modern reproductions.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 09:54:47 AM »
One research avenue is to take it into a friendly jeweller shop and ask them if it is silver. If they say it's not, it's likely to be an imitation. Judging from the picture (always dangerous), I'd venture that it's low grade silve with a high brass content.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 11:14:42 AM »
Most of such Temple Tokens are made in Brass only. I have yet to see a temple token made in Silver.

In some of the recent Auctions, I have seen some Gold Temple Tokens being auctioned at very high prices (Almost 2-3 times of Bullion Value). The temple token attached here weighs 6 grams and was sold for about USD 1000 in a recent auction.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 11:24:41 AM »
Just searched Todywala Auction site.
Found this lot of 20 temple tokens, one of which was this sikh token (enclosed in Red).
This lot was sold for Rs. 12000 in September 2008.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline nsriar

• Reader
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »
One research avenue is to take it into a friendly jeweller shop and ask them if it is silver. If they say it's not, it's likely to be an imitation. Judging from the picture (always dangerous), I'd venture that it's low grade silve with a high brass content.

Peter

Thanks for the information guys. I had sent this pictures to Paul to see what information i could get on these.

Peter,
i dont think this is silver seems to be some sort of brass or copper alloy. looking at the metal token.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 01:03:40 AM »
Religious tokens or amulets can be found of several religions (Hindu, Sikh, Islam, Buddhist, Christian, etc.).
The present token is bearing Sikh designs.
On the right image (obv.) Guru Nanak is seen seated cross-legged, beneath a tree. Two principal devotees seated beside him, one playingthe tamboura (Bala) and the other holding a peacock feather fan (Mardana). In front of the Guru, his ascetic attributes - his sandals and water pot.
On left image (rev.) Guru Govind Singh seated left on mat. He hold a staff, on which his falcon perches. Above Devanagari Sat Kara Tara (God is Truth), below 1804.
Saka 1804 was AD 1882. This group of tokens could have been introduced in 1882. If that is the case, the date remained fossilised, as most pieces are of must more recent date.

There are plenty publications in which the so-called temple tokens have been described and illustrated. A good reference work is: Indian Tokens, Popular Religious & Secular Art from ancient period to the present day by Michael Mitchiner (London, 1998)