Commemorative 2 pound coins ?

Started by Candy, September 06, 2013, 01:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is the most beautiful commemorative 2 pound coin ?

The Mary Rose
4 (36.4%)
King James Bible
0 (0%)
Charles Dickens
0 (0%)
Handover to Rio
0 (0%)
Union of England & Scotland
0 (0%)
The Gunpowder plot
1 (9.1%)
Brunel Portrait
0 (0%)
Brunel Paddington station
0 (0%)
Trevithick (Steam engine)
2 (18.2%)
Florence Nightingale
1 (9.1%)
Commonwealth games in Manchester
0 (0%)
Marconi's wireless transmission
0 (0%)
London Underground logo
1 (9.1%)
1999 Rugby World cup
0 (0%)
DNA Double Helix
0 (0%)
Charles Darwin
2 (18.2%)
St Paul's cathedral
0 (0%)
Robert Burns
0 (0%)
Abolition of the Slave trade
0 (0%)
London Underground train
0 (0%)
1908 Olympics anniversary
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 01:39:40 AM

augsburger

Put the prices up, less people buy, less people buy, the higher the prices, the higher the prices, the less people buy, the less people buy..................................  ???

Figleaf

Correct, except for a combination of two factors: the monopoly of the state mint and people's ignorance. Hiking up the price may delay the process of pricing yourself out of the market by creating a separation between those who know or can find out and those who don't know. Those who know will stop buying, those who don't know will continue to buy for a time because they believe "complete" exists and has value.

The mint is betting on the ignorance of non-collectors and doesn't think collectors will spend enough money to save them from the competition.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Interesting that the winner of the poll so far is the Mary Rose design by John Bergdahl. That was actually my second choice, but I considered that it was based on a contemporaneous painting and decided that it therefore lacked originality in that respect. However, it is indeed beautifully done. Now John Bergdahl has produced the design for the coins celebrating the christening of Prince George.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Candy

Quote from: <k> on October 08, 2013, 05:36:06 PM
Interesting that the winner of the poll so far is the Mary Rose design by John Bergdahl. That was actually my second choice, but I considered that it was based on a contemporaneous painting and decided that it therefore lacked originality in that respect. However, it is indeed beautifully done. Now John Bergdahl has produced the design for the coins celebrating the christening of Prince George.

It is a beautifully done coin indeed , I`m not too surprised it ahead in the poll  ;D
The Mary Rose coin looks like one of those coins you see in childrens story books on treasure chests  :)  its susch a beauty but its so hard to find ......which makes it so enchanting

kena

I would have thought that more would have been sold at a lower price than a higher price.

Candy

Quote from: kena on October 09, 2013, 02:23:42 PM
I would have thought that more would have been sold at a lower price than a higher price.

Yeah I would have thought so too ,but it seems demand is not diminishing - maybe its due to the low number that were put out there . I doubt I will find a Mary Rose in circulation ....  speaking of which has anyone found a Mary Rose 2 pound in their change recently ?