Author Topic: BURSLEDON BRIDGE Tokens (England)  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
BURSLEDON BRIDGE Tokens (England)
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:57:24 AM »
Are any of you familiar with the celluloid (plastic?) tokens inscribed BURSLEDON BRIDGE? Obviously you would think they are/were used for passage across a bridge.

In the meantime they have been relisted in the Smiths 1981 ferry token catalogue. I suppose this was based on the thought that it was a "floating bridge" like the tokens from Cowes and Gosport, England.

Now, Bursledon has had a bridge for a long time, but I don't know if it was a toll bridge or if they used these colorful tokens, There are seven different values, 1, 3 4-1/2, 5 and 7-1/2 pence, as well as one shilling and 1shilling/6 pence. Colors are red and blue, with a single white token. All are scarce.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: BURSLEDON BRIDGE Tokens (England)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
With so many different values, they don't sound like toll bridge tokens. In fact, except for the word "bridge", I would have taken them for local bus tokens.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 02:35:12 PM »
Found this :-

The old Bursledon Bridge crossed the River Hamble from Lower Swanwick to Bursledon on the far bank. This view was taken from the railway bridge on the Bursledon side of the river, looking back towards Lower Swanwick. Sarisbury Green lies up on the hill behind the trees. The bridge was built of wood about 1800 and once had a tollgate on the Swanwick side. At each end of the bridge was a painted sign setting out the various tolls. In 1930 Hampshire County Council bought the bridge from the Bursledon Bridge Company and freed it from tolls. In 1933-35 the old wooden bridge was replaced by a modern one to cope with the traffic on the busy A27. In the days before the bridge, a ferry used to operate across the river at this point.

Source

Also interesting is this tirade about Itchen bridge.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 02:46:05 PM »
And from Wikipedia :-

At the turn of the century Sholing was surrounded by five toll gates, the Floating Bridge; Northam Bridge; Lances Hill, Hedge End and Bursledon Bridge. The only toll free exit meant a journey through Bitterne via Mousehole to the free Cobden Bridge and this tended to make Sholing a rather isolated community. Sholing, previously Scholing, is a district on the eastern side of the city of Southampton

Bursledon Toll Bridge View large image
Malcolm

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 02:56:46 PM »
Very good. Research prize of the day. I'm moving the tokens back to the bridge section.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »
Tks
Malcolm