Author Topic: Irish 3d, a nice find  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Dave13

• Like coins, medals and tokens
    • Medals, Tokens and Coins.
Irish 3d, a nice find
« on: September 09, 2012, 05:40:31 PM »
In a bag of 100 coins that I paid 1.50 for I have found a Irish 3d mintage 64,000 value according to my 2010 Coin Yearbook 7 very fine to 60 extra fine the coin still has some luster. Really pleased with this one.

My collection of commemorative medals, coins and tokens.
http://www.neocollect.com/user/dave

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Irish 3d, a nice find
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:42:39 PM »
Congratulations, Dave.

I find the difference between vf and ef catalogue quotes rather exaggerated. These coins have relative little detail and are quite flat. A circulated coin will often show full detail.

Now what are you going to do with the other 99 coins? ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Dave13

• Like coins, medals and tokens
    • Medals, Tokens and Coins.
Re: Irish 3d, a nice find
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 11:40:59 PM »
Checking  Krause and sorting for the rest. As for the grade of the coin I have quite a few Irish coins of various grades and I've noticed after lots of examining with a magnifying glass that wear on the harp is usually seen on the raised part of the harp and across the top where the strings join the top limb of the harp this coin does not have any wear on these points so I do not think it has seen much circulation but it does have quite a few bag marks so I'm happy putting the coin somewhere in the middle of VF and EF maybe and I just think it's great to find such a nice condition coin with such low mintage.
My collection of commemorative medals, coins and tokens.
http://www.neocollect.com/user/dave