Author Topic: St. Michael's Tower - Not a Skyscraper but an "Edgescraper"  (Read 3911 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
St. Michael's Tower - Not a Skyscraper but an "Edgescraper"
« on: February 02, 2008, 01:39:31 PM »
Yesterday the new German €2 commem was issued - the "Hamburg" piece from the German States series. (Hamburg is a city but also a state.) The coin features St. Michael's in the heart of Hamburg.

Now I don't like the design a lot, but that is a different issue. What is interesting is the tower of the church, commonly called Michel. In all design pictures that I have seen (before the coin came out), the top of the tower comes very close to the ring of the coin but does not "touch" it. See here:

(Image from the German numismatic office/VfS; here http://www.pressedienst-numismatik.de/images/stories/2008_01/2_euro_hamburg-download.jpg is a larger picture.)

Now somebody in a German forum mentioned that, on some of the coins, the Michel's top actually reaches into the ring: http://www.numismatico.de/files/rand_358.jpg  And sure enough the bunch that I picked up yesterday, all from one mint (F), has both varieties.

Guess that means the really serious collectors will have to get not only five Hamburg coins (five mintmarks), not only ten (some collect both orientations of the edge inscription) but even more. If the other mintmarks comes in both varieties as well, they will have to get twenty, hehe ...

Christian

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: St. Michael's Tower - Not a Skyscraper but an "Edgescraper"
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 05:23:40 PM »
As a German tax payer, you should welcome that :P As a type collector, I need two only. There are advantages to being a type collector...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 12:07:20 AM »
Agreed. The German coins I collect by year but I don't care about different mint marks. Other euro coins: by type only. Foreign coins: depends on whether I like them or not. :)

Christian

Offline Miguel.mateo

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 02:31:19 AM »
I have all the mint marks and they all touch the ring (some more than others though).  However I am interested in this comment "... some collect both orientations of the edge inscription..." What does that mean?  Any pictures so I can see the difference?

Thanks,
Miguel

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 10:21:24 AM »
In addition to the above:
The orientation of the edge on German eurocoins can easily bee seen: EINIGKEIT UND RECHT UND FREIHEIT upright or upside down, and eurocoins of several other euro countries are as easy. But even on the eurocoins having no text in the edge but only 2s and stars the orientation of the inscripion is easy to find.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline Miguel.mateo

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 11:17:36 AM »
Interesting, thank you guys, I must confess I learn something new about these coins every day :)

Regards,
Miguel

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: St. Michael's Tower - Not a Skyscraper but an "Edgescraper".
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 11:59:24 AM »
Collecting by edge inscription varieties is very popular in Belgium,as the coins of one Position can command a premium over the price of the coins of the other Position.
That is something which amazed me when collecting euro coins was all new. German coins have had edge inscriptions for a long time, and the orientation of such inscriptions has never been an issue among collectors. After all, this orientation is a totally random thing. So when "Type A" and "Type B" came up (I first noticed that in an Italian forum), many other German collectors, myself included, reacted like, huh? :)  But if people want to collect both "types", why not ...

Christian

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 08:36:03 PM »
The edge inscription is normally applied before a coin is struck in a separate minting process. See here. Having received the edge inscription, the blanks fall at least once, so that both sides have an equal chance of receiving the obverse or reverse stamp, meaning that the way the edge inscription is positioned is indeed random and paying more for one position or another is a folly. I agree with Christian, though. Never tell other people what (not) to collect.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

paisepagal

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 10:24:02 AM »
Funny story when i visited hamburg in 2008...last day of my holiday there and my friend had to get to work...so put my suitcase in one of the railway lockers and walked around aimlessly through the city to squeeze as much as i could from the day  ;D... by around 3pm, it was pretty sunny and even a bit hot (funny whether end oct!)....finally had to sit on the steps of this building and take a breather... Looked up and saw this very nice bronze statue of an angel (I think)...and loe and behold...i was on the steps (not than many of them anyways) of St. Michel Kirch  ;D...It was almost closing time, so a quick walk around and there was even a nice velvet box of the 2 euro being sold @ €5 which i picked up. I was quite a happy man  ;D
I guess the church must be very historical, but it isn't that imposing 

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 11:13:47 AM »
That statue shows, you guessed it, St. Michael fighting the dragon. :) As for the church, well, baroque church architecture is something you don't find that often in Northern Germany (personally I could care less, as I like Romanesque and Gothic churches better ...), and St. Michael in Hamburg is one of the big Baroque churches in the North. And for Hamburg it is a landmark, partly because of its history (completely destroyed by fires in 1750 and 1906, always rebuilt) and partly because of the tower: You can take an elevator up and enjoy a great view.

By the way, since the numismatico.de link in the first post is dead, here is another image of a piece where the tower almost goes into the ring. This one is special for another reason too: It is an error piece, with the old (pre-2007) map on the reverse. Not terribly rare (about 600,000 coins, F/Stuttgart only, have that wrong reverse) but you will still have to pay between 30 and 40 euro, maybe more, for one.

Christian