Author Topic: Toll Tunnels using tokens  (Read 4170 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Toll Tunnels using tokens
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 11:30:23 AM »
The only differences with your beloved RFIDs are that it's not round and doesn't go into a slot. If you want to argue that it is not a token for one of these reasons it is not a token, fine, but not even close...?

Guess that most of these classic tokens are not "individualized". You can probably buy one or some, use them when you need to, even give them to somebody else ... Try that with such an RFID thingie - I don't think it's fully transferable. (For example, at the Westerscheldetunnel you can use something called "t-tag", and while that device may be used with different cars AFAIK, you cannot simply give it to somebody else.)

So in a way both the "old style round token" and such devices are means of toll payment. Also, both can be used on more than one occasion. But ... hmm, I would not call a plastic card a coin merely because they serve pretty much the same purpose. ;)

Christian

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 08:26:46 PM »
Just discovered there is also an example of this Marseille, France, tunnel token dated 1993 on the reverse, just under the 1 PASSAGE.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 11:33:51 PM »

Here is the reverse of the previous one mentioned - you loaded the obverse at Reply #5

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 11:36:33 PM »
Okay. There's an example WITHOUT the 1993 date.