login

Author Topic: 1813 RE-strike 5 Lire  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Ancientnoob

1813 RE-strike 5 Lire
« on: August 19, 2012, 12:29:02 AM »
I just picked this up at a new coin shop in town... Sold as a "RE-STRIKE" it weighs 22.67g @ 37mm.

The gentleman assured me that it wasn't a copy, but indicated that the coin had been re-struck at some point. I thinks a nice coin, and I hope its legit, there is an inscription on the edge of the coin. Maybe someone here can help me out here? Any idea on a grade an value? This is a new area of collecting for me, so I really don't know alot but, I am sure there are tons of fakes out there.
Comments and opinions are always welcome.
"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius

Offline DONATELLO

Re: 1813 RE-strike 5 Lire
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 01:33:21 AM »
Hello, I'm sorry but this is not restrike, only one copy, the coin is not silver. in Italy there are many fakes of these currencies and the value of about 1-2 euros a piece.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 01:43:34 AM »
The original is 25 grams and since your piece is clearly not worn, it is an imitation of Cr 111. I suspect that the edge inscription is FERT FERT FERT, which is the motto of the house of Savoy. However, if I remember correctly, the two Sicilies was a Bourbon possesion and this coin is Napoleonic, so there's no connection to Savoy. It may mean that the imitation was made in an official Italian mint before the second world war, presumably for sale to collectors, but unfortunately without the word COPY.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Ancientnoob

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 01:58:39 AM »
Well lets see if He takes returns? Thanks guys. I admire your guys speed and level of knowledge.

- Publius Syrius

Offline Ancientnoob

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:21:13 PM »
He accepted the return given the evidence that was provided here on this forum. Thanks guys.

- Publius Syrius

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 10:53:51 PM »
That was the honourable thin to do. Glad we could be of help. Come again any time.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.