Author Topic: Star ferry tokens  (Read 4995 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Star ferry tokens
« on: August 17, 2012, 01:24:02 AM »
Wikipedia shows a modern star ferry token.

The page also suggests the earliest Hongkong ferry could be 1890
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
Re: Star ferry tokens
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:30:05 AM »
Wow. That's nice. Too bad the geeks at Wikipedia don't know top from bottom. Now, I'll have to find the token to see the reverse. I'd guess it's 30 mm. as are most of the East Asian metro tokens...Public transport tokens aren't dead yet.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 11:57:47 AM »
The Chinese characters are not upside down. Lower deck would be second class. The token looks modern (plastic).

The reason I know they didn't use tokens is that it is well documented that a) 5 cent coins were struck after they were necessary in circulation because of Star Ferry tariffs and b) there were demonstrations when the tariff was increased to 10 cents, suggesting that coins were continued to be used. I have been to Hong Kong regularly, I always stayed in Tsim Sha Tsui and had business in Victoria, I seldom used the tunnels, once they were in place and I never saw a token used, but the last time I was there is now some 20 years ago.

To my knowledge, no Star Ferry terminal in HK is called Victoria Harbour. In fact, people from Hong Kong (and myself) refer to Victoria as Hong Kong Island.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Kushi

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »
Here is a link to the ADULT UPPER DECK green plastic token used on the Star Ferry in Hongkong.

http://www.hongkonghustle.com/local-culture/378/star-ferry-hong-kong-token/

Is the Chinese inscription upside down here?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 02:57:38 PM »
That page is dated 2008, explaining why I didn't use it. Yes, the Chinese is upside down in the illustration.

The use of the technology is funny. The octopus card option is obviously British, while the use of coloured plastic tokens is Russian, possibly passed on by the Chinese (I wish I knew if the same technology was used in the Beijing underground).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Kushi

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 03:11:56 PM »
From 2008 yes, but still an unlisted token and photo. Do you have any idea what's on the other side of these two Hongkong Star Ferry tokens?

The radio frequency identity (RFID) technology, with a chip inside the token, is widely used at many Chinese metro operations, also Taipei, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Delhi, Bangalore, Kolkata, Kazan and probably more. It is not widely used in the Russian Federation or other ex-Soviet states. I'm uncertain about Beijing.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 03:52:19 PM »
The text on the page says Introduced over the last few months, so indeed, from 2008. I suspect that the other side is the same or blank.

Can't see if there's a chip inside, but the description says that the turnstile is supervised. No need for that with RFID (unless it is easy to jump over the turnstile), but if you use the Soviet spectral system there is a need. I have been told that you can pass on a token broken in half and if you are careful, you can even pass with only a third of a token.

There's a picture of an RFID token from Istanbul here.

Peter

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 01:00:44 AM »
From 2008 yes, but still an unlisted token and photo. Do you have any idea what's on the other side of these two Hongkong Star Ferry tokens?

I have bought a yellow one - concession -  30mm. the reverse is blank - image below.

the blurb from eBay...
 The Star Ferry's ferry crossings at Victoria Harbour are acclaimed as an important part of the commuter system between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon, and essential journeys for visitors. The National Geographic Traveler named the ferry crossing as one of 50 places of a lifetime.  The ferry ride is also well known as one of the world’s best value-for-money sightseeing trips.

The Star Ferry traces its origins to 1880 when Dorabjee Naorojee Mithaiwala, a Parsee cook, embarked on a new vocation. He began a ferry service across Victoria Harbour with his steamboat, the Morning Star. The fledgling service was known as the Kowloon Ferry Company. A local newspaper reported in 1888 that the ferry ran at all hours between Pedders Wharf and Tsimshatsui on a 40-minute to one-hour trip. On Mondays and Fridays, the service halted for the boat’s coaling. By 1890, the Kowloon Ferry boasted four single-deck Star Ferries. Later on, the ferries acquired a second deck.

During the next ten years, businessman Sir Catchick Paul Chater bought all the boats and in May 1898 the Star Ferry Company, as it is known today, became a public company. Its name derives from the ferries, which all bore the name “Star”.

The Company celebrated its centenary in 1998. Its fleet of 9 ferries is now serving two franchised ferry routes between Tsimshatsui and Central,Tsimshatsui and Wanchai. In addition to ferry services, Star Ferry launched the only licensed harbour tour in Hong Kong in July 2003. The one-hour journey starts in Tsimshatsui and goes on to Central and Wanchai before returning to Tsimshatsui, allowing visitors to take in a variety of harbour views at leisure.

Starting from 12 November 2006, due to the pier relocation for Central Reclamation Phase III, Star Ferry continues its ferry services at the Central Star Ferry Pier (Central Pier No. 7). The Central Star Ferry Pier with its elegant clock tower is the re-creation of a distinctive building reinforcing the history and character of the Star Ferry with its identity as an important landmark at the new waterfront in Central.

There were ten available now nine.
Malcolm

Offline Kushi

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 03:12:20 PM »
Attached is a photo of Series 2, adult upper black, adult lower beige, concession upper purple and concession lower yellow.

Edited to show image.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 04:45:32 AM by malj1 »

Offline Kushi

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 03:20:14 PM »
Series 1 of the Hongkong Star Ferry plastic fare tokens is as follows, 30 mm, blank reverses, as in Series 2.
Adult upper green, adult lower blue, concession upper red and concession lower gray.

akona20

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 10:46:24 PM »
Victoria Harbour is not a ferry terminal but the stretch of water between Hong Kong island and TST (Kowloon side) that the ferry travels. There is a Maccas on TST side which I often had breakfast in, it was always crowded and service fast. Like Figleaf i always used the ferry unless I had heavy luggage.

What good days they were.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 12:38:32 AM »
One day, after an elaborate and comical misunderstanding, I found myself lodged in the Holy Carpenter Church Hotel. Across the street was a Dim Sum place that became an instant favourite: trolleys with steamers ful of superbly delicious goodies, giant propellors on the ceiling and enough noise to wake up all the saints across the street. Its only disadvantage was that you couldn't possibly go there with suit and tie. :D Tried to go there as often as possible, though. :)

Peter

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 01:44:46 PM »
Now have one Star Ferry token. Yellow plastic, 30mm.
Malcolm

Offline Kushi

Re: Star Ferry Tokens, Hong Kong
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 12:18:06 AM »
Now the CONCESSION token is gray. Same blank reverse.

Do any of our members know if this is a RFID token?

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 02:56:02 PM »
Here is a gift from a couple of mates of mine, Lemony & Squire.
29.96mm
2.9mm thick
Green, same blank reverse.
Used recently 8)
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.