News:

The Grand Event: an all-stars happening. Make sure you don't miss it!

Main Menu

SOS - Handan-Ni Ltd.

Started by bagerap, August 13, 2012, 11:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagerap

I knew I was in trouble the minute my neighbour said "You'll know just what this is."

It's brass, 16 mm, 1.8 gr and I have not one single clue as to what it could be.

bagerap

BTW, the stamp on the left hand is S    2, and S   S on the right hand.

malj1

As it says on the token Handan-ni -  :D remember those comics?  :) - an early coin machine token, the initial probably denotes the arcade owner where used; others listed Hayes 127 - 127.3 have the initials E&A, 127.4 only has the hand and eye.
A further, probably later, series Hayes 182A etc has the legend Handan-Ni with various numbers or letters.

From the Arcade Museum we have this information...

Handan-Ni Ltd., the Improved Pickwick maker, released 4 machines under this trade name, starting in 1912. Other machines made by Handan-Ni Ltd. during the time period Improved Pickwick was produced include Four Ball Machine, Seven Arches, and Bull Dog.

This one is unlisted and not in my collection, I do have several of the types listed above.

Another, A 'Handan-Ni-Domino' wall machine by The Skill Automatic Machine Co., Glasgow, was sold in 2006 by Christies,  Price Realised £960 from the Nic Costa collection.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

bagerap

Malcolm, you never cease to amaze me.
But sadly, no, these comics were not a part of my upbringing.
So just how old could this be? Surely not 110 years.
(By the way, Picassa's working fine. Except for use on ebay)

malj1

No! around 100 years old though - 1912 to date!

A rebus is what is implied.
Malcolm

malj1

Automatic Pleasures - The History of the Coin Machine - Nic Costa - 1988 - Page 132 places the company, Handan-Ni Ltd., to London.
Malcolm

villa66

Quote from: bagerap on August 14, 2012, 12:46:16 AM
Malcolm, you never cease to amaze me.

I second this.

;) v.

malj1

Thank you, I'll post pictures of some others later ...
Malcolm

africancoins

Here is my piece of the type shown at the start of this thread.
Thanks Mr Paul Baker

africancoins

Malcolm mentioned "PICKWICK".

I got a "PICKWICK" piece recently - PICKWICK PHEONIX // 1

Here it is.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

africancoins

Malcolm mentioned "PICKWICK".

I got another "PICKWICK" piece a few months ago - PICKWICK // (stamped) 424

Here it is.

I think I have also seen this type with a different 3-digit number stamped on it.

One theory (for this general type of token) is that such 3 or 4 digit numbers would match the makers' serial number on the machine.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

malj1

Some more tokens of Handan-Ni Ltd., of London. All approx. 16mm with blank reverses. three brass and one in aluminium.

Malcolm

malj1

Quote from: africancoins on August 14, 2012, 11:19:57 PM
One theory (for this general type of token) is that such 3 or 4 digit numbers would match the makers' serial number on the machine.
Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Here is a general stock token with a nice number 1066 that would match that theory.
Malcolm

Figleaf

You mean 1066 is the date? No wonder Harold was distracted. He must have played all night. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

I did think of mentioning 1066 and all that by W. C. Sellar and R. J. Yeatman

A Memorable History of England, comprising all the parts you can remember, including 103 Good Things, 5 Bad Kings and 2 Genuine Dates

PRESS OPINIONS

`...We look forward keenly to the appearance of their last work.' Review of Reviews of Reviews
Malcolm