Author Topic: Card Board British India Rupee of George V  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
Card Board British India Rupee of George V
« on: August 06, 2012, 07:54:44 AM »
This BI Card Board Rupee of George V is listed on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261048655169?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Is this genuine? Were any such tokens officially issued?

Abhay
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:32:56 PM by engipress »
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: Card Board British India Rupee of George V
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 08:10:58 AM »
Similar items were issued in Britain (portraying standard British currency, of course) as play money or educational toys in schools to teach kids arithmetic. I think several sets from the 1930s and 40s have been illustrated on here.

Your rupee does look exceptionally accurate and similar to the real thing, though. Most of the toy replicas of UK currency (whatever they're made of) have something to show they're not the real thing -- maker's marks, different legend or whatever.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »

Your rupee does look exceptionally accurate and similar to the real thing, though. Most of the toy replicas of UK currency (whatever they're made of) have something to show they're not the real thing -- maker's marks, different legend or whatever.

Yes, had the seller not mentioned Cardboard Token, anybody could have taken it to be a real rupee. The seller also mentions that these were issued before the silver and copper coins.

Note - This is not a silver coin but a cardboard token coated with silver metal.  This is a Collectible article.  This token was used before copper, silver coins were minted.  No books are there to prove this token or coin was in circulation.  If any doubts are there about this item pls kindly mail me before bidding.

Abhay

INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »
I don't understand what the seller means by "This token was used before copper, silver coins were minted." Clearly silver rupees of the same specifications were in use long before this cardboard one was made.

I suspect this is either toy/educational money or a forgery -- though who would have been fooled, I'm not sure.

Another possibility, I guess, is that the seller is trying to pull a fast one by making something that's fairly cheap but convincing, then concocting a story to suggest that such pieces were used in some obscure circumstance, therefore not just inventing the object, but also the historical circumstances in which it is supposed to have arisen.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 12:58:30 PM »
Its a fake, another way to sell something ...

If it was educational it would have been more recent I guess ... hence it would have been clearly labeled in someway ...
Cannot be a token ... no-one would make a cardboard token and then wrap it with silver foil ...

There was no dearth of silver then and most coins of higher value were in silver and gold ... later changed to copper

It would be an insult to the King to use the Cardboard as Coin  >:D
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 02:03:10 PM »
I started school in 1944 in Britain, there we used a very similar cardboard set of George VI teaching coins. See this thread for much more information and pictures.

Toy Coins by David Rogers lists many of these pieces but I have just checked and unfortunately there are none of the Indian educational coins listed.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline mooreman

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 12:19:37 AM »
As stated above it is a fake. I may know how this came about, a few years back I bought some real teaching coins made for the English schools in India, Rupees etc. I  cant remember, but think they were German made, dated c. 1906 to 1926 from this dealer. I paid quite a bit for them as they were rare, so he thought that, if he called it cardboard and made up this silly story, that cardboard came before metal coins, then he could sell a few more to me, or others. I may be wrong, the answer may be that his knowledge is lacking in this field and  is an innocent party to someone else's story.