Author Topic: Slot machine birth control  (Read 3865 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Slot machine birth control
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:02:59 AM »
A little earlier than I would have expected.

Mirror
Perth WA Sat 1 Oct 1949

SLOT-MACHINE BIRTH CONTROL STARTLES BRITAIN

London, Today: Britain's unprecedented export drive has produced some startling results. New machines and old ideas with new twists are coming off the assembly lines to drag in the dollars. One new twist is the conversion of slot machines to peddle contraceptives! Not unlike the penny in the slot affairs from which chocolate, chewing-gum, matches and even cigarettes could be obtained in palmier prewar days, a number of the machines, were, experimentally placed at strategic points on London's street corners. Half a crown in the slot brings forth a contraceptive. At first the experiment was confined only to London. It is proposed to extend it next to Manchester, and eventually to every town and holiday resort in the country. Usually they are erected outside barbers' shops. There is no supervision over the sales. Any curious adolescent — or child for that matter — can make a furtive purchase from his pocket-money. Half-a-crown in the slot is all that is needed. Company concerned — the Automatic Machine Co., Ltd — reports good sales from the machines. They propose to extend their market to America. Machines were originally designed for the American market, to swell Britain's dollar income. For that reason the Ministry of Supply is pleased. East London Juvenile Court Magistrate Basil Henriques made a public protest about this uncontrolled slot machine birth control. An authority on welfare of young people, he said the sale of contraceptives through slot machines will do more harm to youth and society than any amount of liquor. Company sees no moral issue involved. Youngsters could always get contraceptives from barbers if they wanted them, the manager points out. 'In any case, youngsters are not interested in that sort of thing if they have been properly brought up,' said the manager.

Trove.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
Re: Slot machine birth control
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 10:07:59 AM »
A little earlier than I would have expected.

Mirror
Perth WA Sat 1 Oct 1949

SLOT-MACHINE BIRTH CONTROL STARTLES BRITAIN

London, Today: Britain's unprecedented export drive has produced some startling results. New machines and old ideas with new twists are coming off the assembly lines to drag in the dollars. One new twist is the conversion of slot machines to peddle contraceptives! Not unlike the penny in the slot affairs from which chocolate, chewing-gum, matches and even cigarettes could be obtained in palmier prewar days, a number of the machines, were, experimentally placed at strategic points on London's street corners. Half a crown in the slot brings forth a contraceptive. At first the experiment was confined only to London. It is proposed to extend it next to Manchester, and eventually to every town and holiday resort in the country. Usually they are erected outside barbers' shops. There is no supervision over the sales. Any curious adolescent — or child for that matter — can make a furtive purchase from his pocket-money. Half-a-crown in the slot is all that is needed. Company concerned — the Automatic Machine Co., Ltd — reports good sales from the machines. They propose to extend their market to America. Machines were originally designed for the American market, to swell Britain's dollar income. For that reason the Ministry of Supply is pleased. East London Juvenile Court Magistrate Basil Henriques made a public protest about this uncontrolled slot machine birth control. An authority on welfare of young people, he said the sale of contraceptives through slot machines will do more harm to youth and society than any amount of liquor. Company sees no moral issue involved. Youngsters could always get contraceptives from barbers if they wanted them, the manager points out. 'In any case, youngsters are not interested in that sort of thing if they have been properly brought up,' said the manager.

Trove.

Interesting article with pros & cons  of such slot machines.

Invention  from manufacturing  company in vain no credit to designer /engineers.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

translateltd

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 10:55:19 AM »
Half-a-crown would still have been a tidy sum in 1949, more than your average kid would have had in pocket money, I would have thought.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:25:36 AM »
I remember those machines, I saw on once where someone had written 'this chewing gum tastes awful'  ;D
Vic

akona20

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:32:12 AM »
Remembering my single life (a long time ago just before they invented electricity) I thought these were something you carried to impress likely ladies and never used because they cost too much. But that is a long time ago and my memory of such things is perhaps somewhat fragile on certain points, lol.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »
Half-a-crown would still have been a tidy sum in 1949, more than your average kid would have had in pocket money, I would have thought.

My pocket money went up to half a crown about 1952/3 but I had better things to spend my money on - like Meccano for instance!
Malcolm

Online bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 04:05:09 PM »
I saw on once where someone had written 'this chewing gum tastes awful"

Yes, and the ubiquitous "Buy me and stop one"

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Gφteborg, Sverige
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 05:13:45 PM »
Half a crown for one contraceptive is bloomin' expensive. Using the RPI that's £3.44 in 2010. IIRC they tend to be around the £3 mark for a packet containing two or three from machines in pub toilets and such. (I may be out of date there as I haven't been to the UK in a while, still less felt the need to use said machines  ;))

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 12:37:25 AM »
If the newspaper report has the name correctly  — the Automatic Machine Co., Ltd — it would seem to be Automatic Machine Co., of Wimbledon.

Only one token is listed for this company, it reads NO TRADE VALUE LIBERTY 1615 curved around AUTOMATIC MACHINE COMPANY WIMBLEDON in four lines, uniface brass 29.5mm. Hayes 34. Scarce.

Too small to have been used as a test token if in fact half crowns were used. I don't have this one.
Malcolm

Offline Chinasmith

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 05:43:08 AM »
You do understand the newspaper story refers to condoms, not birth control pills, which weren't invented until the 1960's. I remember seeing vending machines dispensing condoms in the 1960's, usually in the restrooms at filling stations. The "slot machine" in the British story might refer to what we call a vending machine.
Researcher on coins, paper money and tokens of China.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 06:51:19 AM »
Yes it is vending machines that I am interested in and the tokens that were used in these apart, of course, from the currency that was put in them. I was surprised at the early date, 1949, and the price of half a crown which I should think would be very expensive at that time. Lets hope they got several in a packet.
Malcolm

akona20

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 07:42:34 AM »
Hmmm, Mal the Masher around town probably needed more than one. Am I allowed to say that here?

Offline Chinasmith

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
As I recall, in the 1960's in the USA, the condom machines charged either 25 cents or 50 cents. Gasoline was also 25 cents a gallon at that time. I always wondered what a condom looked like, but at the time I could buy two nice 19th century foreign silver coins for 25 cents -- why waste the money on curiosity!
Researcher on coins, paper money and tokens of China.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 10:19:29 AM »
I now have one of these tokens, uniface brass 29.5mm.

If the newspaper report has the name correctly  — the Automatic Machine Co., Ltd — it would seem to be Automatic Machine Co., of Wimbledon.

Only one token is listed for this company, it reads NO TRADE VALUE LIBERTY 1615 curved around AUTOMATIC MACHINE COMPANY WIMBLEDON in four lines, uniface brass 29.5mm. Hayes 34. Scarce.

Too small to have been used as a test token if in fact half crowns were used. I don't have this one.
Malcolm