Author Topic: recent German acquisition  (Read 802 times)

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
recent German acquisition
« on: July 31, 2012, 11:21:04 PM »
I got this German piece recently.

It seems there is an infamous "Carl Brandt" - but I would doubt that he has anything to do with this piece.

This "100" piece is Zinc with a diameter of 28mm and seems to perhaps be from the 1920s to 1940s. Has anyone got a better estimate ?

I couldn't find a similar piece offered for sale.

Does anyone know more about it ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:40:02 PM by africancoins »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: recent German acquisition
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:07:03 AM »
Well, yes, the Brandt company that most people know is the one that makes zwieback and cookies. And that is not in Bremen. :) The Bremen Brandt apparently was a building/construction company (Carl Brandt Hoch- und Tiefbau). Don't know anything about them, but they needed small locomotives in the 1930s. ;) http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/org/murray/ok12721.htm  Maybe this was some kind of meal token?

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: recent German acquisition
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:35:40 PM »
The time period you mention seems about right. I'd place it early in the period, because it is zinc, but after the reforms of 1922, because of the denomination. Later pieces tend to be copper or bronze.

As for use, the value is too high for coffee, so a meal token seems like a good guess.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.