News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Free beer money

Started by Dave13, July 21, 2012, 10:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave13

Thought I would share this. A promotion in Australia during the 1980's to promote English beers, each pub had a number and the promotion possibly ran for only a few weeks. I also have a number 53 token
My collection of commemorative medals, coins and tokens.
http://www.neocollect.com/user/dave

Figleaf

Thanks, Dave. Free beer was about as close as heaven as you could get in my student days. A 2-1/2 gulden coin (rijksdaalder) was known as a "one beer coupon". However, I know enough men (and no women) who remain on this level.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

This is British. I had not heard of the Australian attribution before and it certainly does not appear in the Australian food catalogue although I am expecting the new edition any day now. [now arrived]

A search on Google brought up this result...

Bob writes: These date to the 1980's when a brief (only a couple of weeks) promotion was run by an English brewery and tokens were given to customers in a pub (each pub had a number) dependent on how many pints were drunk. I remember the promotion as it was run in a pub I drank in once per week with a pal. I have possibly made a note as to how many tokens = a pint, but I cant recall off hand. I have one or two from the pub I drank in, now demolished. ...his pub number 14 is shown.

Which is fairly conclusive.

Another in my collection has a variation on the theme being a 'Cut  Price Food' token, with 25p [A very British denomination] although having the same type of reverse. See below along with my one only 'Free beer money'.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

The 'Friends of the Guinnless' also supplied a similar '1 Free Guinnie' token

Sic. a very odd spelling.

edited for schpelling  ;D
Malcolm

malj1

MY GOODNESS - Now deciphered...

FRIENDS OF THE GUINNLESS 1983

This was Guinness's first consciously "1980s" campaign, from its new agency Allen, Brady & Marsh. The target for the "Guinless" campaign was 24 to 34-year-old working-class men who admired Guinness's clever advertising, but didn't drink the product. So it concentrated on the problems of the Guinless men who'd gone without it for too long - the first of a decade of advertisers asking if you were getting enough - and reworked the 'Guinness is good for you' as 'Guinless isn't good for you'. It worked, in the short term, and was credited with stopping the stout's sales decline. But the double negative was seen as dangerous and the failure to present the product as hero was judged a mortal sin.

Source
Malcolm

africancoins

"Free Beer Money" and "Friends of the Guinnless" I have seen quite a few of... but I have never seen the cut price food piece...

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

malj1

Some more "Free Beer Money"
Malcolm

malj1

I have found an article Free Beer Money by Ralph Hayes in the Token Corresponding Society Bulletin Vol.9 No4 September 2008 Page 149

I quote:

....these tokens were issued C.1976 in public houses or hotels that sold Watney's Beer on a regular basis. One was given to a customer who purchased a pint of Watney's; the system being that when he had 6 of them he could hand them over instead of money for a free 7th pint. They are known to be numbered from 01 to 99 but as yet no number has been seen higher than this. They are all brass apart from a variety for food which has a silvered finish and a stated value of 25p. These pieces were issued for pub numbers 36, 37 & 38 in addition to the brass beer pieces with the same number. Of course there may be more of these? They are not as common as the brass types. The only piece known with a location is pub number 53 which was issued at the Market Hotel, Alton, Hants. The only variety found is pub no.95 which has 2p written on both sides with a black permanent marker pen.....

Malcolm

malj1

One more number added today. 47

I also have 46 and 98

Malcolm

redwine

No.58  ;D
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

redwine

Guinness, hmmm  8)
25mm
6.2g
Possibly Russian? :D
( Not got anywhere with my brightness & contrast  :-\ )

malj1

Thought it may have been Gaelic, but no: Tá Guinness maith agat  ;D

I got close with Serbian: Добро за вас суб Гуиннесс
Malcolm

redwine

Just played with Google, it's Russian ЗДОРОВЬЕ = Health
ГИННЕСС НА ЗДОРОВЬЕ = Guinness for Health

MML appears to be the makers mark.

malj1

I had thought Гуиннесс was Guinness; so its Guinness is good for you!
Malcolm

redwine