Author Topic: On Horseback or Chariot  (Read 20715 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Re: On Horseback or Chariot
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2018, 01:47:14 AM »
Here's an unsightly little coin dating from the 7th-8th century of the Chach oasis, now the city of Tashkent, capital of Uzbekistan, more or less along the Silk Road. The obverse shows a horse and rider, simply, unpretentiously designed. The reverse shows a tamgha, that is the emblem of a clan or tribe. 18 mm, 0.90 gr.

-- Paul

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2018, 09:05:25 AM »
Hello Paul,

My attempt to study the context of your and many other of these horseman types, about 20 years back, is here:

https://www.academia.edu/20328243

Its a bit small viewed on the web, you might need to download it to read it and see the pics

There does seem to me to be a general linkage between this horseman coin iconography and political ideology - that starts in the ancient Scythian East and then gradually spreads to the medieval European west.

I was particularly taken when studying this matter by the story from the late 16th century when an English traveller looking at a Russian wire kopeck immediately linked the image to the ancient tales of Herodotus.  (I cannot help thinking that 16th century Englishmen were in some ways better read than 21st century ones are!)

Criticism welcomed of course  but really - its only interesting if substantiated

Rob
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:57:23 AM by EWC »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2018, 10:28:43 AM »
UK, 5 pounds, 2002.  The Queen's Golden Jubilee: 50 years a queen.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2019, 12:37:03 AM »
Italy, 50 cent: Art - Michelangelo's Piazza del Campidoglio, with the ancient statue of Marcus Aurelius.