News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK game token, 10 pence, Brenco Equipment Ltd.

Started by Figleaf, July 19, 2012, 01:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

This (brass, 8.3 grams, 29.0 mm) looks like a UK game token on one side and a US key-ring hanger on the other side. Strange...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

The eagle side is vaguely reminiscent of some Reader's Digest tokens I've seen.

bagerap

Although I don't have one to hand for comparison, it also looks a lot like the eagle on the "Eurocoin" tokens.

Figleaf

I have two eurocoin-produced tokens with spread eagles. Both are quite different in weight and diameter. One is brass, the other nickeled (?) While on this token the wing tips are sort of horizontal, on one, the tips of the wings point almost straight up, on the other, they point at five and seven o'clock. Neither has twigs. If someone wanted to make a spread eagle design that was emphatically different from these two eurocoin designs, this is how they would have done it. Of course, that (like the denomination) does point to a UK maker.

Another thing I have noted is that on the UK gaming tokens I have, the p in the denomination is aligned either with the bottom of the 0 or with the centre of the 0 (not taking the descender into account). In one case it is below the 10. I have not found another gaming token where the p is aligned with top of the 0. Not that it helps any...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bagerap

If I remember correctly, that is how prices were marked just after the currency change over in 1971. Could indicate that this token has some age to it.

FosseWay

Didn't/don't standard post 1971 UK Machin definitive stamps have the p in superscript? Or am I misremembering? It's ages since I've seen one.

africancoins

Purely a British token. 10 Pence for a machine. Likely what you would get for "winning" on a slot machine game (fruit machine....). 10 Pence in large size means likely late 1970s or thereabouts and so this is likely from before minters (such as that big one in Birmingham) were making tokens for Eurocoin. Listed under Brenco Equipment Ltd (of Weston-Super-Mare) in the British Machine Tokens book....

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Figleaf

Thanks, Paul. Another one slotted I didn't have much hope for.

Peter

malj1

Paul has said it all. There are several others from Brenco these all have their name somewhere, along with a 5p and a 6p; most also have 'Award' or 'Gold Award' which probably explains the use of this one too.
One other similar piece has the ' key-ring hanger on the other side' as Peter described.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

I have recently added a page to my web site on these;

Brenco Equipment Ltd. of Weston-super-Mare were for many years owners of the amusement arcade on the Grand Pier at Weston-super-Mare.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.