One Punic 3 Shekel 201-146 BC

Started by Ancientnoob, July 14, 2012, 02:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancientnoob

Zeugitana, Carthage, North Africa
201-195 BC (Although most likely continued in circulation until 146 BC.)
AE 28mm 17.78 g
Carthaginian 3 Shekel denomination.
Obv. Goddess Tanit / Rev. Horse Foreleg up

You have got to love Tanit. The unique condition of the coin makes her look like a cigar smokin' woman. Tough!
I just got this coin and its the largest Carthaginian denomination I own.  ;D
The Carthaginians having secured deals with rival neighbors ran a shortage of Gold, Silver and Electrum following the conclusion of the Second Punic war in 201 BC. As a result large bronze denominations came into use to pay the locals on the home front.
Enjoy All,

Nate

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius

Figleaf

Any cigar-chomping Danish woman would understand and approve. :)

Looking at it from an economic point of view, the Punic wars must have cost a lot of money. I would expect that, as is the case in all wars, that would have been solved by inflation, so that the government debt would deflate when thing would go back to normal: borrow 3 silver shekels to buy a horse, pay back with a copper 3 shekel piece. Increase taxes, reform the currency and you're done. After a generation, nobody remembers. Too bad no one expected a third Punic war...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

akona20

The irony of the coin. It was of course the Numidian horse (cavalry) that helped defeat the Carthagian empire.