Jewelry Token Imitations: Bengal Presidency Rupees and Mohurs

Started by Rangnath, May 03, 2008, 09:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmerc

Quote from: Figleaf on February 26, 2021, 11:45:19 AM
Nice and sharp. I don't see these pieces as frauds, but rather as cultural artefacts. Coins don't live in isolation. The imitations serve a real and practical need, as much as traditional clothing.

Peter

Very aptly stated. By the time these jeweler's imitations were manufactured, the Murshidabad coins were probably no longer part of the currency. Instead of financial instruments, they perhaps served a more cultural function--presentations at weddings or social events. Can probably imagine a more senior age group at these functions (parents, uncles/aunts!) who had a fondness for these pieces. 

Quote from Pridmore:
QuoteThe causes for this later imitation of coins no longer a legal tender, appears to have been
due to the belief in the metal purity of the particular issue, and partly to a veneration of the
people for their old Emperors. When the E.I.C. abolished the old mughal design on their
coins in 1835, and introduced a new currency with English inscriptions showing the effigy
of the reigning English monarch or the Arms of the E.I.C., the preference of the people for
the older issues created a demand.

The 19 san sicca coinages ceased to be legal tender from the 1st January 1838, and thereafter
became worth only the bullion value. For several years the quantity of the coins still
available for jewellery use, mementos or souvenirs, must have been sufficient, but in the larger
towns and cities the continued demand produced a scarcity and enhanced the price. It is
this cause which brought into being the poorer quality imitations. What is not readily
apparent is the reason why the most favoured imitation in silver or white metal was the
design of the old standard gold muhr. No specimens have so far been traced by the writer
which show signs of having been gilded to represent the muhr; also their thickness and weight
is usually approximate to that of a silver rupee.
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Figleaf

Major Pridmore was a bit of a romantic. Apart from jewellery, I was thinking in particular of a Northern Indian Diwali ceremony:

"Many in the north place silver coins in front of Lord Ganesha, Goddess Laxmi and Goddess Saraswati and perform a small ritual of washing those coins with milk and water. This signifies that in the presence of the deities, one offers pure, legitimate and hard-earned wealth to the supreme power." Source

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

gollada

Some Interesting tokens/coins here. Thanks for sharing.

I recently procured a Rupee and a Quarter Rupee imitations of Kalkata Jaunpur type. 

Both have oblique milling and the engraving/strike quality is very crisp and clean.

Hope you like it.

Can someone please help with the translations of both the obverse and reverse of the Rupee and 1/4 Rupee.

Thanks

cmerc

The 1/4 rupee is very interesting! "Zarb Mur-Kalkattah-Bad"!
Haven't seen too many 1/4 rupee jewelry tokens, although gold 1/4 mohurs are more common.
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

gollada

Thank You CMREC.

Thanks for the translation as well. Sorry, I can't read urdu/farsi

Seeker55

Would just like to contribute my two cents by adding another example, in my possession. In a discussion that can be found at

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,47407.msg296300.html#msg296300

Maythem (aws22) expertly and kindly read the coin as follows:

India, (Bengal Presidency), Shah Alam, AR Rupee (Private Issue).
Obverse: Legend in Farsi: سكه محمد رشيد أحمد سايه فضل اله حامى دين محمد شاه عالم بادشاه , Sikka Muhammad Rashid Ahmad saya fazl Ilah Hami din Muhammad Shah Alam, Badshah, meaning, " Coin of Muhammad Rashid Ahmad Shadow of the divine favor, defender of the religion of Prophet Mohammad, Shah Alam Badshah".
Reverse: Legend in Farsi:  ضرب مرشداباد سنه 19 جلوس ميمنت مانوس , Zarb Murshidabad sanat 19 julus maimanat manus, meaning, "Struck at Murshidabad in the 19th year of his reign of tranquil prosperity".
Please note that this is a private issue of Muhammad Rashid Rafiq Ahmad in the style of the immobilized Bengal Presidency Year 19 coin.

If someone (in the USA to avoid international shipping) collects these jeweller's copies and is interested in this one you can PM me.

gollada

wow, interesting - a private issue.