Difference between a specimen coin and a proof coin?

Started by Harry, June 27, 2012, 10:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Does specimen and proof mean the same thing? If so why do reference books and TPG services use them differently? British India coins have Proofs whereas Swiss coins have Specimens. I'm sure there is a technical difference.
Collector of British India, Straits Settlements, Malaya, East Africa coins and papermoney

Abhay

What I feel, is that Specimen Coins are first made in limited numbers (about 5-6 sets), for taking the approval from the concerned authorities. Only when the designs are finalised, the official minting of the coins begin.

So, the Specimen sets are meant just for taking the approval, and are not supposed to be in the market for sale.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

@josephjk

So a specimen coin would be the same as an exp coin?

Harry

After posting the question I did some searching around and here is what I think the difference is.  Specimen coins are made by the mint to show case what the coin is going to look like and these coins were probably sent to banks and government entities. Just like specimen notes are sent to banks to show what new notes are going to look and feel like. Where as proof coins are produced specifically for the collector they have a better strike and a have a polished look.   So specimen coins are not intended to be sold to the public but proofs are.

I also suspect that some mints do use the words interchangeably.  I.e producing proofs for the collector but also calling them specimens.

So Abhay I don't think that specimens were/are necessarily produced in smaller numbers. Also Joseph, I don't think that specimens are experimental coins - they are past that stage.

Again, this is my thinking / assumption - please comment/correct.
Collector of British India, Straits Settlements, Malaya, East Africa coins and papermoney

Bimat

I think specimen coin is same as pattern coin. Specimen coins are not struck for collectors or for circulation, while proof coins are exclusively struck for collectors.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

I think you got it quite right, Harry, especially where you speculate that some mints use the term interchangeably. I would just add that language may play a role also. Proof is a typically English term, hard and confusing to translate e.g. in French, German or Dutch. Proof is Polierte Platte (polished flan) in German, Gepolijst stempel in Dutch, terms that don't do justice to the procedure. Words that sound closer (Probe, proef) denote patterns, not proofs. Specimen is a way out.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brokencompass

Isn't a strike before the coin actually minted in large numbers called a Trial strike?

I've read that the word specimen has been interchangeably used for proof by some mints.
My goal for 2017 is to finish finish my British India copper collection (1/4 anna, 1/2 Pice and 1/12 anna) by year and Mintmark. Any help with missing coins in BU grades is highly appreciated.
https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/MySets_Listing.aspx?PeopleSetID=130880

Coinsforever

Quote from: Harry on June 28, 2012, 06:04:13 AM

After posting the question I did some searching around and here is what I think the difference is.  Specimen coins are made by the mint to show case what the coin is going to look like and these coins were probably sent to banks and government entities. Just like specimen notes are sent to banks to show what new notes are going to look and feel like. Where as proof coins are produced specifically for the collector they have a better strike and a have a polished look.   So specimen coins are not intended to be sold to the public but proofs are.

I also suspect that some mints do use the words interchangeably.  I.e producing proofs for the collector but also calling them specimens.

So Abhay I don't think that specimens were/are necessarily produced in smaller numbers. Also Joseph, I don't think that specimens are experimental coins - they are past that stage.

Again, this is my thinking / assumption - please comment/correct.

Theoretically your opinion is valid .

As I believe and as opined by others such specimen are not meant for general public unil approved and it is  sort of confidential process prior to release of coins for circulation.

But practically from collector's point of view who are usually unaware  , how to differentiate which one is  genuine specimen coin , any privy marks , special features to observe . (excluding packing because  pirated stuff are flooded a lot in market)

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/