Author Topic: Comments on “Thematic sets from the 1920s to date”  (Read 16788 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Comments on “Thematic sets from the 1920s to date”
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2014, 01:19:46 PM »
Do China's 1987 and 2000 sets count?

1987?!!! Oh no, it's just taken me an age to re-post everything from 1992 onwards to fit in Iran, Syria and Yemen.  :-\  Every post is displayed in date order, you see - you can't just insert a new post between old ones. Did those sets really circulate, then?

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2014, 04:11:16 PM »
Don't worry, this Sunday, we'll all put it back in the wrong order (we hate order) and shake up the posts as well, so you won't be bored for the next two lightyears. :-*

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline SquareEarth

• cn jp kr vn
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2014, 05:52:09 PM »
1987?!!! Oh no, it's just taken me an age to re-post everything from 1992 onwards to fit in Iran, Syria and Yemen.  :-\  Every post is displayed in date order, you see - you can't just insert a new post between old ones. Did those sets really circulate, then?

Err, both sets do circulate... Thousands of tons of them...

But you may argue that the 1987-1999 set is a wreath/spray set, and therefore shall not be counted as thematic.

But the 2000-present set is both thematic and circulating ::)

Another option is to wait for further more hidden sets to be discovered, and do the arrangement at the end of the year.

This guy who got 3000 yuan in coins (as compensation from a bus company) feels the same as you
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 08:51:00 PM by Niels »
Tong Bao_Tsuho_Tong Bo_Thong Bao

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2014, 07:49:04 PM »
Impresive. What did he doto earn such a heavy reward? Catch a graffiti "artist"?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2014, 08:43:04 PM »
But the 2000-present set is both thematic and circulating ::)

Another option is to wait for further more hidden sets to be discovered, and do the arrangement at the end of the year.

Really, it is not a proper set, as it just goes 1 jiao, 5 jiao, 1 yuan. Also, China is only a partially recognised state (PR China). From an aesthetic point of view, the designs are nothing to write home about, and I have already excluded the South Yemen set (circa 1976) for that reason. Additionally flowers are rather anodyne and bourgeois for a supposed revolutionary state. Also China is nominally Marxist, and I live in a country that is monitored by the NSA - if you get my meaning. As for hidden sets, I'm sure there are no more to stumble on that fit the bill, though future sets will certainly come along.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2014, 11:38:16 PM »
Come off it, you grand turtle in an underground station. PR means Prime Restaurants, as opposed to ER on British coins meaning Exotic Restaurants if you get my drift. Admit that you have never eaten so well (and spicy) in your life as in that Malaysian/Indonesian restaurant when World of Coins had a meeting in London. :D

A 1-5 series has been used elsewhere, ask any Israeli and if you want to believe the NSA is efficient, wait until the Mossad hears what you dare to say in public. So what's this elitist talk about partially Marxist Yemen being unable to produce good coin design when you have just posted some hateful coins from Azerbaijan that is not even partially Stalinist? :)

As they said in The Times when it was still an upper class newspaper: "dear sir, you err, you cur". >:D

Peter

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2014, 02:08:14 AM »
Come off it, you grand turtle in an underground station.

You're thinking of Galapagos. He was a double agent. Me, I am <k> - mysterious <k>

PR means Prime Restaurants, as opposed to ER on British coins meaning Exotic Restaurants if you get my drift. Admit that you have never eaten so well (and spicy) in your life as in that Malaysian/Indonesian restaurant when World of Coins had a meeting in London. :D
Spiciest was an Indian meal I had in Richmond. It was described as "fairly hot". With the first mouthful I gulped and spluttered, and literally couldn't speak for about 30 seconds. Goodness knows what "very hot" would have been like.

A 1-5 series has been used elsewhere, ask any Israeli
True - but it's the utter lack of a 10, 20 (or 25) and 50 that I'm complaining about. The flowers are rather boring, so I'd prefer a design showing the early Chinese space programme.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2014, 02:32:20 AM »
AHA! Now I know what the problem is. As wiki puts it: "One yuan is subdivided into 10 jiǎo (角), and a jiǎo in turn is subdivided into 10 fēn (分)." Just like the French once had a franc, décime and centime, the Chinese have two levels of subsidiary coins. Expressed in fen, those denominations are 10, 50 and 100.

Many years ago, I bought some buns in a Chinese bakery. The shop filled up with people wanting to find out if big-noses actually eat. When I was through ordering, I gave the young lady a pen and flattened part of the bag she had filled with my purchases. She wrote a 4 and a character I didn't know. I thought 4 yuan was a bit much and 4 fen was far too little and had no idea there was also a jiao option, but with all the people watching, I wasn't going to look like a cheapskate, so I gave her a 5 yuan note. Great merriment followed, someone pulled my wallet out of my hands, gave the poor woman 5 jiao and put my banknote back. They're probably still laughing.

Peter

Offline SquareEarth

• cn jp kr vn
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2014, 07:12:20 PM »
From an aesthetic point of view, the designs are nothing to write home about, and I have already excluded the South Yemen set (circa 1976) for that reason.

It's only true for the one yuan coin. the 1 Jiao and 5 Jiao coins are quite elegantly designed (The designers are different).
Tong Bao_Tsuho_Tong Bo_Thong Bao

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2014, 07:59:57 PM »
In the near future I want to update the Thematic Sets topic to include some more sets. Here are some sets that I will consider:

1] The 1982/3 issues of South Korea. Not a great set, but it should be included.

2] The 1989/90, and 1990/1 sets seen in this topic on Brazil.

Are there any others you would like to see included, which fit within my guidelines? I will only include sets that focus on representational designs that are reasonably realistic. This excludes heraldic, symbolic and heavily stylised themes, as well as sets showing geometric patterns. I have already ruled out Israel's set, for instance, as too heavily stylised and insufficiently realistic.

One set I think is borderline, along with the modern Comoros set, is modern Madagascar. I just can't seem to pick a year when a coherent thematic set exists in full.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:44:40 PM by <k> »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »
The year is coming to an end soon, and so far I have only found one set for 2014 that meets my:

Terms of reference.

Have I missed anything?

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2014, 09:21:21 PM »
I have now started to update the main topic to include some more sets. Since posts can only be ordered chronologically, I have had to split the topic in two, with a link leading from to the second part of the topic. It will probably take me some days to finish the project. In the meantime, I may also update some of the  existing posts with better images.

I considered adding an Austrian set of the 1920s/1930s, but it doesn't look sufficiently coherent, thematically speaking.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2017, 11:09:35 AM »
Did I record all the thematic sets for 2016?

And which 2017 sets do I need to add? So far, I know only of the Isle of Man set. Are there any others?

Offline quaziright

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2017, 05:06:50 PM »
Brunei just came out with a new set

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2017, 05:13:33 PM »
It's true. I'm waiting for some nice images, tho. I have only seen scrodgy and dreckid ones as yet.