Author Topic: Comments on “Thematic sets from the 1920s to date”  (Read 16414 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Comments on “Thematic sets from the 1920s to date”
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2012, 08:44:45 PM »
Well, I'm glad you like it - and it's had a lot of views too. Very time-consuming to put together, so I'm relaxing a bit before proceeding again...

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 01:02:42 AM »
This is yet another good example of what fun things can be achieved if people can just do their own thing their own way. WoC is what its members make of it. Whatever you like in numismatics, you will either find here or you can create it here or you can be inspired to create it somewhere else. Yes, tolerance brings chaos, but chaos bears creativity.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline kumarrahul

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2012, 07:24:58 AM »
Hi all,

Firstly I will like to thank <k> for this awesome compilation.  It's written beautifully and well illustrated.

I have a thought related to the post of 2005 for Gibraltar

Gibraltar.  The designs from the 2004 series were re-used, but on different denominations. This is a phenomenon that I have not noticed on the coins of any other country or territory.

I have noticed reuse of illustrations on different denominations in Israeli coins and in a very unique way.  Take for example the 100 Prutah design of the first Israeli lira (=1000 Prutah) which featured a Palm tree.  The coin was effectively 0.1 Lira.  The next series from Israel was when they had the Israeli lira (=100 Agorah) equivalent to the previous Lira.  0.1 Lira was thus equal to 10 Agora and hence featured the same design to denote equivalence.  This equation continues on to the next set as well which is the Israeli shekel was introduced with a redenomination of 1:10 Israeli Lira.  Thus, the old 0.1 Lira was now equal to 0.01 Shekel which is 1 New Agora and again featured the palm tree.  The next redenomination was for 1:1000 Israeli shekel where there was no equivalence, hence this design was dropped. 

The same trend is observed for all illustrations where they equate in absolute value to the previous currency.  I found this really very interesting.

I really like the designs on the Israeli coins and they exhibit a consistency right from 1950 based on the above observation.  In all, the Israeli set now has close to 15 different types of illustrations.  I wonder if these too could be featured in your thematic set compilation.

Regards
Rahul

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2012, 01:05:18 PM »
Thank you, Rahul, I'm glad you enjoyed the topic. The reason I didn't include the Israeli coins you mention is because they're rather abstract and stylised, and I was looking for something more realistic and lifelike. This is a question of taste, and of course, what I consider lifelike, you may consider stylised, or vice versa. I just didn't think the Israeli coins fitted my parameters.

However, what you say sounds very interesting. You will notice that I always illustrate my topics, because I think that makes them much more lively and attractive. It would be interesting to see you create a topic on Israel, with a few images, to illustrate what you have just told us. You are the one with the knowledge and the enthusiasm to do it, so it's worth sharing your insights with us in a topic, as you never know what thoughts they will trigger in other members. That's what I mean by my signature, about turning data into knowledge.  ;)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2012, 07:15:08 PM »
All done now: 164 thematic sets - and I'm exhausted.  ;)  Just as well it's Olympics year....

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
You sure did a great job, thanks! But I hope that the phase of exhaustion will not last longer than for an athlete who takes part in the Olympics. ;)  As for the "re-use" of previous designs, with different denominations, many countries do that partially. Like when a 10c coin is phased out and a $2 coin is added with the design of the old piece. But Gibraltar 2004/2005 is quite a different case ...

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 08:42:37 PM »
I was wondering how many of these sets were DESIGNED by the Royal Canadian Mint.

1] Dominican Republic - 1989 set.

2] Cuba - 1994 onwards. The convertible peso set.

3] Zambia - 1992 set.

4] Uganda 1998 set.

5] Ghana - 2007 set.

RCM has also designed individual pieces for Madagascar, the Bahamas, and Ethiopia.

Around 73 of these sets were designed by the Royal Mint, just out of interest. Not an exact count.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 09:17:02 PM by <k> »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 08:48:29 PM »
It is also interesting to look at these sets and their different styles. The New Caledonian coins have a distinctly French style to them. The Royal Mint has a different but recognisable style, which I think of as "British overseas style". Its influence can still clearly be seen in Australasia. The Royal Australian Mint recently produced a set for Samoa. It was designed by a Pole who emigrated to Australia, yet the set to my eyes has "British overseas style" written all over it. This is neither a criticism not a boast, just a remark on how influences travel and persist.

Offline kumarrahul

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 04:15:35 PM »
Hi, the Malaysian coin series introduced in 2012 is a beautiful set.  I propose this be added to the thematic series.

Rahul

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 04:43:21 PM »
I didn’t like the Malaysian set at first, but I have come to admire it more and more. When I created the thematic sets topic, I wanted to look at modern sets whose designs were representational and reasonably realistic, rather than heraldic, symbolic, or stylised. By representational, I mean art that represents real things in the world, such as humans, animals, plants, ships, architecture, etc. Of course, it could be said that anything is a theme: heraldry, for instance. However, I had to impose some boundaries, otherwise I would have had to include absolutely everything in the topic.

I think that the Malaysian set, though beautiful, is borderline in my terms. It represents patterns and motifs from various local cloths and fabrics. Now, if the coins had represented the objects themselves, that is, cloths and fabrics with these patterns and motifs, then I would have thought, yes, they are representing real objects. However, since the motifs are highly stylised, I would immediately have to think of including lots of other sets that are also highly stylised or depict patterns, such as the ones in this topic:

Patterns on coins

For all these reasons, I don’t think the Malaysian designs would fit well in this topic, but I invite you to add them to the patterns topic.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »
It was written that unlike Hong Kong, Macau has continued to use old design coins.

I visited both these places in 2008.

Hong Kong too is using old designs. There was no requirement of  coins so they never got new ones minted. 1997 series was circulating commem coins but rarely seen in circulation.

Finally, in 2012, requirement of more coins was felt and new coins minted with old design.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_two-dollar_coin and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_five-dollar_coin.

Please note the mintage quantities.

I have 2012 five dollar coin and am looking for 2 dollar coin of 2012.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2014, 08:48:29 PM »
Are these old coins still in circulation in Hong Kong the ones that portray the Queen, or the later ones with the bauhinia flower?

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2014, 08:49:36 PM »
Later ones.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
Later ones.

2012 coin have been issued with Bahunia flower design.
The Queen coins are still legal tender but you do not come across them very often.
I do not know which mint was used for minting 2012 coins, perhaps Royal mint.
They certainly were not minted in China.

Offline SquareEarth

• cn jp kr vn
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2014, 05:02:47 AM »
Do China's 1987 and 2000 sets count?

Tong Bao_Tsuho_Tong Bo_Thong Bao