Author Topic: Kenian gap-fillers  (Read 1446 times)

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
Kenian gap-fillers
« on: May 03, 2008, 09:09:07 AM »
The next 2 coins gave me much satisfaction: these are coins I am already looking for for ages: Kenya 25 cents 1966 and 2 shillings 1966 with the bust of Jomo Kenyatta.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:43:46 PM by Afrasi »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Kenian gap-fillers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 12:09:50 AM »
A strange country, Kenia is. Every time it finally seems ready to take off, someone goes lala and they have to start all over again. In this case, it was the guy on the coin, Jomo Kenyatta. He started out as an intelligent, well trained, conciliatory leader of the country, leaving it with a one-party system, no opposition and a tribe-based administration. The country is still trying to overcome his inheritance. As long as its puts its presidents on coins, it still has a long way to go, I think.

You are lucky to have found a good 25 cents piece. The coin was intensely impopular and didn't circulate much. Also, Kenya seems fond of brass for its lower value coins, which is badly suited to the climate and sweaty hands.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Kenyan coins.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:41:04 AM »
Bart & Peter,
  Since the retirement of former President Daniel T. arap Moi in 2003,Kenya hasn't issued very many coins.The 25c. was not the only short-lived denomination,but the 2/- is also the other one.I've got both of these coins.

The current coins have got the portrait of Jomo Kenyatta on the obverse.Only one coin has been issued that depicts President Mwai Kibaki - the 2003 40/- coin,which commemorates 40 years of Kenya's independence.That coin still eludes me though.

Aidan.