Akbar Rupee, Sitpur, Ilahi 49, Month-Mihr REF: KM #93.18

Started by PeaceBD, June 13, 2012, 05:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeaceBD

A recent addition to my growing collection of  Akbar's coinage. Akbar Rupee, Sitpur, Ilahi 49,stuck in month of Mihr(Libra) REF: KM #93.18, Liddle S-53 (11.46gm; 19mm)
This beautiful chunky coin though a common among Akbar's round Ilahi type rupees is a pleasure to hold in hand. I think this particular coin with full visible Ilahi year and the partially visible month Mihr on top is in a good state of preservation. I would grade this coin about uncirculated. Coin is stuck at Sitpur located near river Indus, southwest of Multan, Pakistan.
Let me know what y'all think about it. Share more information and pics if you have a similar one.

Thanks
Bhushan

Oesho

The rupees of this mint are usually of Ilahi yr.49. There is also an earlier issue dated yr.48. All coins show the Ilahi month Mihr (Libra). See images below.

Figleaf

I can easily imagine your joy when handling this coin.

With the extra decoration and the squarish frame, the two dates look like two types to me. This does not look like a die cutter adding some flourish, but rather like someone with authority ordering a "better looking" coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

asm

Quote from: Figleaf on June 14, 2012, 01:31:35 PM
...........This does not look like a die cutter adding some flourish, but rather like someone with authority ordering a "better looking" coin.
Dear Peter,
The lower of Oesho's 2 coins which is much better to look at is the older one........so it seems reverse of what you make it out to be. The die cutter may have needed to speed up production and hence reduced (in fact eliminated) the decoration on the coin. Both coins of Ilahi 49 have no decoration on the field while the Ilahi 48 has fabulous decorations...........

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

PeaceBD

Quote from: Oesho on June 14, 2012, 12:16:03 AM
The rupees of this mint are usually of Ilahi yr.49. There is also an earlier issue dated yr.48. All coins show the Ilahi month Mihr (Libra). See images below.
Oesho, thanks a lot for the information.Both the coin are beautiful. I especially like the earlier issue as it is more ornate. Any reason why both years only have month Mihr?

Bhushan

PeaceBD

Quote from: akona20 (Old Man) on June 14, 2012, 12:31:02 AM
Stunning coin.
Thanks a lot.

Quote from: Figleaf on June 14, 2012, 01:31:35 PM
I can easily imagine your joy when handling this coin.

Peter

Yes, one of the true pleasures of this hobby is holding these beautiful pieces in our hand. Both Akbar's and Jahangir's coinage has such variety and beauty.