News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Coin / Numismatic Dealers and Auction Houses in India

Started by cmerc, June 11, 2012, 11:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmerc

I am an obsessed collector (is there any other type?) of British India coins.  I will be visiting India later this summer and will bring along a good portion of my savings to buy coins.  I will be visiting New Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, and Mumbai to visit family and friends.  I was wondering if you guys know the names, contact information, or addresses of dealers in these cities? 

Here is what I know so far:

New Delhi:
(1) Dealer in Karol Bagh (don't remember name/number of dealer)
(2) Chandni chowk - the silver stores have some imperial issues
(3) Street vendors in Chandni chowk - mostly low grade coins

Mumbai/Bombay:
(1) Coin/stamp shop in Victoria Terminal
(2) Another numismatic dealer with shop (around VT?)
(3) Some gentleman who deals out of his home (?)
(4) Todywalla auctions (do they have retail, or just auctions?)

Kolkata/Calcutta:
Don't know of any stores

Bangalore:
(1) Marudhar Auctions (are they based out of Bangalore?)
Don't know of any stores

Any help with names and contacts of dealers would be highly appreciated.  Maybe this thread can end up being a reference list of dealers in India... 
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

cmerc

I also know another dealer in Nagpur:

Nagpur:
(1) Mr. Avinash Ramteke, shop located in Rani Jhansi Square, Nagpur

akona20

Please note the Indian law that requires permission for coins (and other items) that are more than 100 years old to leave the country.

cmerc

Of course, I shall either get the requisite permission from the ASI, or leave them with my family.  It also removes having to worry about customs.  Either way, I return to India in a couple of years. 

Anyway, we digress...  Can you please recommend some dealers? 

Coinsforever

WOC has search option where you can easily find answer to your query , however I have worked out for you here are few links may be useful for your forthcoming visit to India.

Coin Dealers in India

Coin dealers in delhi

Coin dealers in Mumbai

Coin dealers in Chennai

Holiday guide - coin dealers

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

paisepagal

Quote from: cmerc on June 11, 2012, 11:16:49 PM

Todywalla has a shop at apollo bunder, right behind the Taj Mahal hotel. But I'm not sure he ever really sits there most of  the time

Bimat

There's another coin shop near hotel Taj (Coin Gallery) and one near Deutsche Bank (International Stamps and Coins)..Both are very expensive so be careful..The later seller has some stunning stuff but expensive..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

asm

To find out about dealers in various towns and cities in India, I refer to the back issues of Gullak magazine ( free download at www.gullak.in ). They carry advertisements of small and large dealers from different parts of India.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Bimat

Quote from: cmerc on June 11, 2012, 11:18:58 PM
I also know another dealer in Nagpur:

Nagpur:
(1) Mr. Avinash Ramteke, shop located in Rani Jhansi Square, Nagpur

Yes, he 's quite a good seller...haven't bought anything from him recently but he mostly deals with old Indian coins (and few world coins too)..his pricing is pretty good IMO.

There's also a very good dealer in Tardeo (Mumbai) area. Can't recollect his name..Ramesh or so..he has plenty of Republic India stuff...he keeps lots of world coins too (mostly in lower grades though)..I have seen British India coins and notes with him (including Gold mohur)..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Abhay

Just took out my Visiting Card collection of Coin dealers.

Here are some addresses:

1. Mangilal Jain, Shri Mahalaxmi Note Centre, 74A, Ground Floor, Shaikh Memon street, Opp Hotel B. Bhagat, Tarachand Javeri Bazar, Mumbai, Mobile : 9821290625

2.  Abdul Razak Shaikh, Coin Gallery, 22A, Lansdowne Road, Bright Land Building, Behind Taj Mahal Hotel, Colaba, Mumbai, Mobile: 9820024329

3.  Ramesh K. Velunde, Hetal Coin Centre, F/21, Mahada Transit Camp, MP Mill compound, Tardeo, Mumbai. Mobile: 9820554787; 9324443976

4. Hansraj M. Jain, Shah Mavji Tomaji & Sons, 271/73, Mumbadevi Road, Opp. Mumbadevi Temple, 2nd Floor, Mumbai, Mobile: 9820707107

5.  Girish J. Veera, Oswal Antiques, 2, Chandra Mahal, St. Paul Street, Hindmata, Dadar, Mumbai. Mobile: 9320010483

6.  Faroukh Todywalla, Todywalla House, 80, Ardeshir Street, Khetwadi, Mumbai. Phone - 022-23854733

7.  Abdul Gaffar, World Stamps & Coin House, 2nd, Marzban Road, Capital Cinema Building, Opp. VT, Mumbai.

8.  Kishore Jhunjhunwala, Currencies and Coins, 519, Arun Chambers, 80, Tardeo Road, Mumbai. Mobile: 9324481006; 9820081006

9.  Aditya Jain, rajesh jain & Company, 1936, 1st Floor, Above HDFC Bank, Fountain, Chandani Chowk, Delhi. Mobile: 9717166626

10.  Name removed on the request of the Dealer - Abhay

11.   raj Kumar Gupta, 1133, Chandani Chowk, Delhi. Mobile: 9810346953

12.  Rajnish Jain, Coin exchange, 16A-19, WEA, Ajmal Khan Road, Karol Bagh, Delhi. Mobile: 9810390324

13.  S.L. Jain (GOGA), Curios Center, 55, Gole Market, New Delhi. Mobile: 9312318401

14.  Arvind Kumar, Kanchan Jewellers, #5, Baba Market, OK Street, (Behind Raja Market), Bangalore. Mobile: 9448089547, 9341252267

15.  Rajendra Maru, Marudhar Arts, #114, 1st Floor, Pamadi Chambers, DVG Road, Basavangudi, Gandhi Bazar, Bangalore. Mobile:  9243145999

16.  Mr. Parekh, Coin world, #16, Tank Bund Road, Next To Sangam Complex, Opp. Majestic, KSRTC Bus Stand, Bangalore. Mobile: 9448073468

17.  Jai Prakash Gupta, 137/1/1, Collin Street, Kolkata. Mobile: 9330003051

I hope, this list will help. Some of the Mobile Numbers might have changed, as these cards are quite old.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

cmerc

This is great, thanks a lot guys!  Definitely a very helpful list to start off with.  I shall see try to see how many shops I can track down and visit.  Thanks for the Gullak link too, the magazine lacks content but has great advertising!

A note about Mr. Avinash Ramteke, dealer from Nagpur:  When I started collecting, I lived in Nagpur and he was the only dealer there at the time (~1998-99).  Mr. Ramteke definitely helped me start off.  He let me photocopy British India parts of the (already photocopied) catalog (I bought the entire thing later, for Rs. 400 I think).  He gave good discounts on coins, and also gave me a free 1938 Bombay dot rupee for free (XF) for doing well in my 10th class boards!  I was a young teenager who was just starting to collect, and he really helped out a lot. 

atqleo88

I am an obsessed collector (is there any other type?) of British India coins.  I will be visiting India later this summer and will bring along a good portion of my savings to buy coins.  I will be visiting New Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, and Mumbai to visit family and friends.  I was wondering if you guys know the names, contact information, or addresses of dealers in these cities? 

Here is what I know so far:

New Delhi:
(1) Dealer in Karol Bagh (don't remember name/number of dealer)
(2) Chandni chowk - the silver stores have some imperial issues
(3) Street vendors in Chandni chowk - mostly low grade coins

Mumbai/Bombay:
(1) Coin/stamp shop in Victoria Terminal
(2) Another numismatic dealer with shop (around VT?)
(3) Some gentleman who deals out of his home (?)

Kolkata/Calcutta:
Don't know of any stores

Bangalore:
(1) Marudhar Auctions (are they based out of Bangal
ore?)
Don't know of any stores

Any help with names and contacts of dealers would be highly appreciated.  Maybe this thread can end up being a reference list of dealers in India..

falcon coin gallery Bangalore contact hardik 9535123234

JD

I'm neither a Dealer nor a longtime Collector but three months back, I inherited a box full of Silver & Copper coins (some Gold too) of different Period ranging from Indo-Greek, Ancient Hindu Kingdoms to Mughal, East India Company & British Period also some foreign like Kennedy/ 3rd Reich..   - If you or anybody is coming to Kolkata, then perhaps you can meet me and help me to evaluate same-- buy some if you like...
----------------------------

........Any help with names and contacts of dealers would be highly appreciated.  Maybe this thread can end up being a reference list of dealers in India...

Note by moderator: Contact number removed.