Ironbridge museum tokens

Started by bruce61813, April 05, 2007, 02:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

My latest acquisition is a medal for the Ironbridge gorge Museum. brass 38mm.

Issued in a case with a green insert, the green has transferred itself to the medal  ::)  I  presume this is not intentional?  ???
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

The eBay image where no hint of the green problem appears.  :'(

Go green but.....   ;)
Malcolm

Figleaf

Item not as advertised...

If you want to keep the medal anyway, some light rubbing with acetone may do the trick, as I suspect the colouring is a chemical substance.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

I shall have to find somewhere to obtain the acetone its not in nail polish remover these days.

The medal is now removed from the packaging. It doesn't look nearly as bad as in the scan.
Malcolm

malj1

Quote from: Figleaf on May 24, 2014, 04:29:16 PM
At the time I was there, they did not have their own tokens, but they did sell a pre-decimal set mounted in slate.

Peter

I now have the set in a 500 million year old piece of slate.  ;D  See Rocks in the Head for the other side.

LLECHWEDD COINAGE

Greenway & Greaves, the name to be seen on the "Old Bank" at Llechwedd Village (Pentre Llechwedd, in Welsh), preserves, the identity of two famous families of Warwickshire bankers. They operated in various partnerships between about 1791 and 1887.
With no place for him in the bank. John Whitehead Greaves came to North Wales in 1833. soon to discover and open up Llechwedd Slate Mines. He distributed his money between the family bank and the Ffestiniog branch (opened in 1836) of the North & South Wales Bank, which was absorbed by the Midland Bank in 1908.
As part of the reconstructed Llechwedd Village the old name of Greenway & Greaves has been given to the coin exchange, where today's visitors can obtain reproductions of pre-decimal currency, showing proper designs (with modern dating) on the Reverse, and a token replacement of the Sovereign's head on the Obverse.
These coins may be spent in the Llechwedd Village shops and in the Miners' Arms, to enjoy the experience of making purchases at old prices. The "d" symbol for "pennv" was the Roman denanous. which survived from 269 B.C. until 15 February 1971. The silver 3d piece gave way to a much heavier twelve-sided brass coin in 1937. but remained valid until 1971; the Llechwedd set retains the Victorian design and size. The 6d coin remained in use as 2½p for the first nine years of decimalisation.

Today's exchange rate for Llechwedd coins
¼d (farthing, withdrawn 1961)   ...   I0p
½d (ha'penny, withdrawn 1969>   ...   20p
1d (penny, withdrawn 1971)   ...   40p
3d (three-pennv bit. replaced 1937)   ...   £1.20p
6d (sixpence, withdrawn July 1980)   ...   £2.40p

LLECHWEDD SLATE CAVERNS
Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd Tel: 0766 830.306
Malcolm

Henk

I have a complete set, of four, of the Ironbridge Gorge Museum tokens together with an information leaflet and the envelope in which they were acquired. The plastic which holds the tokens is, I think a later addition. All tokens have the letter "H". Some photo's seem to be a bit deformed. The size of the envelope is 6,5 x 10 cm

The exchange rate quoted it identical to that for Llechwedd coins discussed above.