Author Topic: Baroda state...but what is it???  (Read 767 times)

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
Baroda state...but what is it???
« on: June 01, 2012, 07:41:21 AM »
This came from Bill Spengler's estate and the note with it said that it might be a pattern of some kind.

For those who can't make out the words on the coin, they are-->

Shri
Shri . Sa
Sa . Ga

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
Re: Baroda state...but what is it???
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 07:42:47 AM »
The other side of the coin is defaced.

What was the purpose of doing this and how do we do it? Defacing the die? (That is what it looks like). Any insights in this would be helpful in solving this mystery.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 02:30:29 PM by Niels »

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 10:38:12 AM »
I have dug this out from the depths.

THe image in the first post is not visible ...... so my comments are based only on the description and the image in the second post.

THis is not a coin but, the copper pellet attached to weights which has come loose. Steel weights had copper pellets attached to them to confirm the state from which the weight was in use. It was imperative since in the older days, the weights were steel pieces and were cut from plates or flats. A small copper sticker could be punched with the name of the issuing state authority. When these copper 'stickers' which had the rulers name on them, fell off, the steel piece was useless but somehow, since these pellets looked like coins and had the attributes of a coin on one side, they were sold by some unscrupulous elements as RARE coins.  In fact, one has been listed under Bhaunagar in the KM for ages. It is dated VS 2005 when the mint was closed in 1840 AD (almost a hundred years before then).

Below is a picture of such a weight of Bhaunagar. I have the Baroda image too and will look it up asap.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 07:12:56 PM »
Highly interesting, asm. If I understand you correctly, the face of the pill we can still see was attached to the weight and the text Shri / Shri . Sa / Sa . Ga is on the side that no longer shows. I suppose the blob in the centre was formed by an small hole dug into the steel weight and the lines were pressed into the steel when the other side was hammered. Wouldn't the weight have been off by the pill on top? Or was that compensated beforehand?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 08:32:22 AM »
Yes Peter, you are correct. The only difference being that the lines seen on the reverse of the pill may have been molten copper which could have been used as a 'glue'. I am pretty sure that the authorities were competent enough to adjust the weight (most likely by filing off the edges of the iron piece) to the required standards.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"