Author Topic: Coin Budgets  (Read 3998 times)

Offline Ancientnoob

Re: Coin Budgets
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 03:19:43 AM »
1. Do you collect from circulation and have no budget?
2. Do you have a set amount you can spend?
3. Care to share how much that is?
4. No budget but you do trades?
5. Have a budget and suplement that with trades?

1.I collect mostly ancient coins BC600-500AD ,long out of circulation. I have collected from circulation, US Ike dollars and Susan B Anthony and silver quarters and the like that float through the change. I am guilty of going to the bank asking for Ike dollars. I just think they are chunky. I collect all the foreign coins that seem to slip into the various registers. Mostly Canadian dimes, and pennies. I got a Russian kopeck once.
2. I try to stick to $150ish.ok..ok..$200ish....I hope my wife doesn't read this...
3. Sure why not?
4. I do buy and would trade my USD dollars and odd US circulated I could never trade my ancients for me they are one of a kind.
5. Answered in number 4

Nate
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:45:28 AM by Ancientnoob »
"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius

Offline Harry

• Meritorious Member
  • Collect British India, Straits coins & papermoney.
Re: Coin Budgets
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 11:07:19 PM »

As a student I probably spent $200 a year on coins.  Over the years (last 20) that grew but not by very much. I also added  banknotes when I could buy them very cheap compared to today’s prices. 

Since the last year (2010) , I’ve decided not to spend any additional money but rather sell what I don’t want and also sell some of my duplicates to fund the growth of my collection.

I have created separate accounts to keep my hobby (addiction)  funds  physically separate from my personal accounts.  So I guess my net expenditure for my hobby is $0 and so far the buying/selling/trading has been positive and I can continue to grow my collection.  If for any reason my hobby accounts go down to 0 and I can’t sell then I will not buy.
Collector of British India, Straits Settlements, Malaya, East Africa coins and papermoney