Author Topic: Muhammad Shah Rupee, Mint: Tatta. AH1133 / RY3. Ref: KM#436.61  (Read 1838 times)

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
Another addition to my Mughal coin collection.  Muhammad Shah rupee KM# 436.61. Mint-Tatta. Year AH1133/RY3. The mint name is mostly visible on this coin along with both dates which made me add this one to my collection. The coin is not in the great shape but I guess this will work till I find a better piece. Please correct the attribution if something is wrong.
I would appreciate all comments.

Thanks
Bhushan
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:20:43 AM by asm »

akona20

Re: Muhammad Shah Rupee KM#436.61
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 05:14:47 AM »
Nice coin with both dates and practicaly full mint name.

Now I have my reading glasses on.

Obverse

Muhammad Shah
Badshah Ghazi
Sikkah Mubarak

Reverse.

Manus
Maimanat
Jalus Sanah
Zarb
Tatta

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:36:39 PM »
Nice coin with both dates and practicaly full mint name.

Now I have my reading glasses on.

Obverse

Muhammad Shah
Badshah Ghazi
Sikkah Mubarak

Reverse.

Manus
Maimanat
Jalus Sanah
Zarb
Tatta
Art, thanks a lot for describing the text.

BD

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:39:56 PM »
Sorry, Bhushan, I have to agree with Art. This is a very nice coin. Both dates readable, well struck, elegant writing. Are you disturbed by the coloured spots? I was at first sight, but I looked again and saw how the patina highlighted the writing. Then I saw the look of the characters in the bottom line and realised how well preserved the coin was. As an not unimportant bonus, this coin has character. If it was stolen from you and recovered, you could unhesitatingly pick your coin out of a pile of others. I'd do my favourite mindgame with it: imagine the field in shiny white, the lettering in gold, any symbols in brillant flower colours... :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 10:49:49 PM »
Sorry, Bhushan, I have to agree with Art. This is a very nice coin. Both dates readable, well struck, elegant writing. Are you disturbed by the coloured spots? I was at first sight, but I looked again and saw how the patina highlighted the writing. Then I saw the look of the characters in the bottom line and realised how well preserved the coin was. As an not unimportant bonus, this coin has character. If it was stolen from you and recovered, you could unhesitatingly pick your coin out of a pile of others. I'd do my favourite mindgame with it: imagine the field in shiny white, the lettering in gold, any symbols in brillant flower colours... :)

Peter

Peter, thanks a lot. I had to choose this coin based on the dealers description without seeing it from a lot of similar other coins which according to the dealer were in a better shape but were missing complete dates or mintname. When I received the coin I was a little concerned about the color spots but the more I looked at the coin the more I liked it. As you said the coin has character. Thanks again for your comments.

Bhushan

akona20

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 10:56:06 PM »
Over the coming years when more information is widely available about these coins those with full details on will be worth more, comparartively, than those with something missing. I certainly rate a coin in any condition with both dates, full(ish) mint name and full(ish) emperor name much higher than the most pristine coin with something missing.

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 04:08:58 AM »
Over the coming years when more information is widely available about these coins those with full details on will be worth more, comparartively, than those with something missing. I certainly rate a coin in any condition with both dates, full(ish) mint name and full(ish) emperor name much higher than the most pristine coin with something missing.

Art, I agree. Coins like these will be more desirable. I find it very hard to find them as a lot of dealers like Album , Wier etc do not have pictures of less valuable coins.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 01:00:02 AM »
Dear PeaceBD, your coin of Tatta is, taking in account the usual poor workmanship of this mint, indeed very nice. See for comparison this coin.

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 01:35:05 AM »
Dear PeaceBD, your coin of Tatta is, taking in account the usual poor workmanship of this mint, indeed very nice. See for comparison this coin.
Jan, I appreciate your view on the coin. It is great to know that it is one of the finer stuck specimen. Thanks for the  reference.

Thanks
Bhushan