News:

The Grand Event: an all-stars happening. Make sure you don't miss it!

Main Menu

KEY 80 H - any ideas?

Started by FosseWay, May 10, 2012, 08:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

What is this? Can't find anything relevant on the web. The phrase "Good for..." possibly suggests North America in preference to the UK, as using 'good' to mean 'valid' is less prevalent in the UK, but beyond that I'm stumped. And what is the significance of 80 H? Some kind of military token? US equivalent of NAAFI stores?

africancoins

An old machine token... old as in perhaps 70/80 years old.

"GOOD FOR ONE COUPON IN TRADING" appears in the same way on a token I have. On that piece there is no other legend on that side - the legend on the other side is the issuer name "MONARCH AUTOMATIC CO NORTHAMPTON". My token is listed in the British machine tokens book. It would seem that your "KEY" / "80 H" piece will be the same size as this Monarch piece... 21.2mm. Correct ? This is the size of the U.S. 5 Cent coins.....

Your token is likely British, possibly from the U.S. or elsewhere. I think I saw a "KEY" / "80 H" on ebay recently....

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

malj1

It is listed in a supplement of British Machine Tokens at #219A. but the issuer is unknown at present; it measure 21mm. I do have some of these, mine are brass. The image above has the appearance it may have been silvered once?
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

FosseWay

Thanks both. I can't identify the residue in the letters; it might be the remains of plating of some kind. It is indeed 21,2 mm in diameter. I had no idea this would be so old -- I thought this kind of machine token came to the fore after WW2.

malj1

Many of these of this size were made at 'The Mint Birmingham' between 1925 and 1928 ~ they tended to grow larger after the war.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.