News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

British Rail

Started by FosseWay, May 10, 2012, 08:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

Where this comes from isn't a mystery -- but what was it used for?

andyg

BR Parking token for the exit barriers on the car park....
I remember them in use in Wolverhampton in the early 90's.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

FosseWay

Aha, thanks. But why go to the trouble of issuing a token when you could either use a pay and display machine or just pay on exit with coins?

Figleaf

A token is beter than pay-and-display because it enforces payment. A parking token gives more flexibility than regular coins, because they allow you to subsidise certain groups (e.g. your own staff or certain customers) or you can use them as a marketing gimmick.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

I have had one of these since the late eighties. It is listed in Ralph Hayes 'British Machine Tokens' at #70.1

A personal communication with the author amends the description there to 'British Rail' in one line i/o two.

Another piece #70. has BR in outline/plain rim Rev. Same. Silvered Brass/23mm. with another in brass at #70.2 ~ I am still seeking these!
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

Quotewith another in brass at #70.2

I find I do have this one #70.2 after all!  :) so just need the Silvered Brass/23mm.

Malcolm

FosseWay

I have the brass B R one as well. I had always presumed it had something to do with British Rail but had never been able to confirm it. Thanks for that!

malj1

I would like to know the reason for the different types.
Malcolm

Figleaf

Re-branding? Marketing types get all excited when they have spent a lot of money on a new logo.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Yes true but the one with the logo is larger 25mm vs 23mm
Malcolm

bagerap

This is here by default as it bears the British Rail logo:

Plain, anodyne almost boring. The reverse however:

Surely, if you were providing a service as truly dreadful as BR food, the last thing you should do is remind the travelling public that there was once a better way?

malj1

Quote from: bagerap on June 06, 2012, 12:14:02 PM
This is here by default as it bears the British Rail logo:
Plain, anodyne almost boring. The reverse however:
Surely, if you were providing a service as truly dreadful as BR food, the last thing you should do is remind the travelling public that there was once a better way?

So that's why the sandwiches are curled, they may have been on the tray for a century.  ;D

Anyway thanks for posting that here,  8) its very nice and interesting to see. Can you let us know the size and metal?
Malcolm

Figleaf

More like a souvenir medal, but it did bring a smile on my face, having been a victim of BR "food". :-X

The Dutch railroads have a better solution: they stopped selling food and drinks in the train. No more toilets either. Ticket windows are a faint memory only. The last thing remaining is passengers and there's talk that they should be chucked out also, as the railroad loses money on them. ;D

Peter

FosseWay

Quote from: Figleaf on June 06, 2012, 04:06:33 PM
No more toilets either.

I suppose the Netherlands is a relatively small country, but still -- doesn't that provoke problems of a smelly and unpleasant nature?