Who is this handsome chap? (Constantius Gallus, FTR Falling Horseman, Siscia.)

Started by redwine, April 29, 2012, 02:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redwine

Bronze
A few degrees off medal alignment
W: 2.42g
D: 17mm

A nudge in the right direction much appreciated.  ;D
Many thanks.
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Figleaf

I am hardly an expert on these, but since nobody wants to stick his neck out, I'll venture Constantine dynasty.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

akona20

Reverse is "fel temp reparatio" syle which is about as popular as you get.

redwine

Thanks guys.  ;D
Constans, Siscia - I think heavily chopped around the edge.
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

SC

This is a coin of Constantius Gallus, the nephew of Constantius II.  Constantius II appointed him Caesar (junior ruler) on 15 March 351 and had him executed circa October 354.

The bust is bare-headed, with no diadem or diadem ties.  This was only used on this type by the Caesars Constantius Gallus and later Julian II. 

However, the field marks - A on obverse and II on reverse - and the Siscia mint mark mean this coin dates to the fourth series of FEL TEMP REPARATIO Falling horseman coins, September 352 to November 353.  This dating means it was clearly Constantius Gallus and not Julian, who was caesar 355 to 360.

I can't tell the exact Siscia mint mark - there were two series: (dot) ASIS (branch) and (dot) ASIS (dot).  And the first letter, indicating the officina or workshop, could be A, B, gamma or delta.  (Not sure if all are known options without consulting other books.)

The coin is definitely either cut down or struck on a small flan.  It should be around 4.5 grams and over 20 mm diameter.  I expect it was cut down or worn down as it was not the last issue struck at this weight standard before the decrease.

SC

Figleaf

Well done, otlichnik. A good example of a coin where the reverse turns out to be more important than the obverse. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.