Author Topic: Fake French and French colonial coins and medals  (Read 12724 times)

Offline Md. Shariful Islam

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
    • Coins of Medieval Bengal
Re: Fake French and French colonial coins and medals
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 05:59:53 AM »
I personally feel that if a member has a doubt on any coin posted, that may or may not caused by poor photography, should share without hasitaion. The ultimate decider is the coin owner as he has the coin at hand and is a better judge. Sometimes doubts expressed by a member may be helpful to avoid getting fooled by fakers.

I have at least two experience where a doubt from a member helped me to identify a fake. I had to invent myself to test the acceptability of the claims of the members. Until I was satisfied I did not give up.

Islam

akona20

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 06:32:38 AM »
I have written PM's to a couple of folks here suggesting that we write up a procedure to follow on the issue of suspected fakes.

I have a procedure I have followed for many years and it certainly is easier now than it was 40 years ago.

In more recent times time I have adapted my lectures on negotiating to cover all the necessary points in the decision making process.

Offline Harry

• Meritorious Member
  • Collect British India, Straits coins & papermoney.
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 05:37:51 PM »
I agree with Islam, if we are suspicious about a coin we should voice it.  I don’t agree that we should be 100% sure before voicing our opinion on the authenticity of a coin.  There is no difference if a member spots a fake on ebay and writes about it saying “I think it’s a fake” or “Is this a fake”?

I’m not an expert myself but I have often voiced my opinion  on coins which includes its authenticity, condition, toning, market price and if it has been cleaned or not. All these factors  has some bearing of the price of a coin.

I have learnt a lot for the people who participate on this forum.  I for example thought that a William 2 Mohur had been cleaned and stated it. However, two members corrected me and said its more likely that the die was polished and not the coin. Wow! I learnt something new. 

It’s this free exchange of opinions by experts and novices that make WOC fun. So lets keep it that way!
Collector of British India, Straits Settlements, Malaya, East Africa coins and papermoney

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 08:40:41 PM »
I don't think anyone can be 100% sure a coin is fake or genuine from a picture.

I agree with Islam and others that if you have doubts it's reasonable, and hopefully helpful, to air them. However, you should always qualify your statement with:

(a) how (un)certain you admit to being yourself about your diagnosis
(b) a reasoned argument for your diagnosis
(c) some information about your (in)experience in the field in question.

That will allow all concerned to make best use of what you have to say.

I disagree that we shouldn't stick our necks out from time to time because there's a risk that someone will either feel hard done by having supposedly had a bona fide purchase revealed as fake, or they'll ditch/sell for a loss a coin that turned out to be genuine. Anyone who does that purely on the basis of the opinion of someone they've never met (however knowledgeable they claim to be) and who has never seen the coin in question in real life deserves any unwelcome consequences, to be honest.

Also, if you post a picture of a coin you own on a website, you are implicitly inviting comments on it. If you don't want to risk getting negative comments, don't post the picture. The corollary of that is that most people who post pictures of their coins actively do want comments from others, which should be given in a helpful and knowledgeable spirit rather than as a sanitised version designed to be as bland as possible and not to hurt anyone's feelings.

I don't possess any coins that, if revealed to be fake, would significantly affect the value of my collection, and I'm pretty sure I know which of my coins are fake. But if I posted a picture and someone queried the authenticity of the coin, I'd take that as a suggestion I should get it checked out, rather than as the gospel truth.

akona20

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 10:04:12 PM »
I am preparing a series of articles on collecting coins. This is will include a section or two about fakes.

While on the subject and various discussions that are currently occurring, a discussion of a coin has a number of sides that must be discussed and I am not talking about just the obverse and reverse.

If you want to ask about a coin there are a number of things that must be disclosed and one of those is the source of the coin. yes folks you must give the source of the coin. Broadly you get nothing for nothing and nothing for free but there are times when you can pick up absolute bargains and there are times when the ebst of deals go sour rapidly.

The articles will be set out as I set my lectures out on negotiatinOnce you get the drift of what I am saying the process becomes very easy and very quick. Oh I also know that everyone believes they are a great negotiator so perhaps I am wasting everyone's time. But If it saves one person one dollar I will be happy.

Offline Md. Shariful Islam

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
    • Coins of Medieval Bengal
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 10:28:54 PM »
I am preparing a series of articles on collecting coins. This is will include a section or two about fakes.

While on the subject and various discussions that are currently occurring, a discussion of a coin has a number of sides that must be discussed and I am not talking about just the obverse and reverse.

If you want to ask about a coin there are a number of things that must be disclosed and one of those is the source of the coin. yes folks you must give the source of the coin. Broadly you get nothing for nothing and nothing for free but there are times when you can pick up absolute bargains and there are times when the ebst of deals go sour rapidly.

The articles will be set out as I set my lectures out on negotiatinOnce you get the drift of what I am saying the process becomes very easy and very quick. Oh I also know that everyone believes they are a great negotiator so perhaps I am wasting everyone's time. But If it saves one person one dollar I will be happy.

Dear sir,

Are planning to write academic articles?

akona20

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 10:37:19 PM »
Hi Sharif,

I think we have enough to do at present after my latest research to keep us academicaly busy for some time.

The articles will be published here as a series. I am preparing Part 1 now and hope to post it shortly. Note you have a project PM coming shortly.

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 12:37:24 PM »
Hello
A friend (no numismate) has gived to me a fake coin from French Indochina,one piastre KM 5a1 year 1924. Those coin is the same that the good coin in silver with the same inscriptions but is in steel (magnetic) and the weight is 17 gramms at the place of 27 gramms. I keep in my collection for to seen the good and the no good coin
Best regards  Gerard

Offline statmatics

• CoinQuest
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 02:57:09 AM »
Here is an unusual coin sent to me by a guy named Larry. Normal French Indo-China piastres start in 1885. This one is dated 1883. There are variations in pattern, especially the '27 gram' inscription, and the date is funny. Is this just another fake (a pretty good one), or some kind of pre-release pattern? It's got me stumped.

Hi-res images are available at: http://statmatics.com/piastre/

Thanks,
Paul Richards
CoinQuest

Offline Levantiner

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 07:53:28 AM »
In one reference I have it is noted that the Piastre de Commerce was authorised in  april 1879..but not struck until 1885.  Could it be possible there were trial strikes?

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 12:35:02 PM »
The 8 and 3 in the date are out of whack with the other numbers. I suspect a doctored coin, changed date from 1898? That explains the weight indication.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 03:00:02 PM »
I showed a couple of fakes here last year of the 27gr types.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 03:05:20 PM »
Good clue! The 1882 coin in that thread also has misaligned numbers in the date. It seems like the ones lower down were made from scratch.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline statmatics

• CoinQuest
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 03:07:55 PM »
You guys are amazing! Except for the date, it's a good fake. -- Paul R.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
The most obvious feature - the spikes around the head are quite different, yet very similar to other one that I linked to.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.