French dentist's token

Started by Thruster853, April 22, 2012, 06:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thruster853

Thank you for all your observations and contributions; most interesting.
Personally I would have had little faith in the hypnosis or spiritism - I would have chosen gas or chloroform without hesitation!!

I also have an English dentist's token which I have attached to this reply. This piece was issued by Samuel Wilde of Liverpool, and can be very accurately dated by the trading style of the maker, to between 1858 and 1863. Note the prices for artificial teeth. Wilde also appears on the 1861 census as a "surgeon-dentist" and lived at the surgery with his wife and an assistant. False teeth became increasingly popular after the introduction of anaesthetics in the late 1840's, as people were more willing to have extractions.

malj1

Another is on Simmons auction at present.

506 France, advertising medal, portrait of Napoleon III and Eugenie by Caqué rev. William
Rogers Dentiste 270 Rue St. Honore Auteur de Plusieurs Ouvrages Scientifiques
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Quote from: Thruster853 on April 23, 2012, 07:51:15 PM
False teeth became increasingly popular after the introduction of anaesthetics in the late 1840's, as people were more willing to have extractions.

This may be the key of the series. Note how many dentists stress something creative or scientific. I know that in Victorian times, dentists would routinely pull all teeth (including healthy ones) and replace them with false teeth, a practice my grandmother still underwent. I know the operation was so expensive that it would be an acceptable marriage gift. Something like: it is unavoidable anyway, so you may just as well get it over with now. Also, all kinds of little adjustments were available to adapt a dead person's set of false teeth for one of his descendants. :P

All this must have been big business for dentists, provided they could show they knew about these "new methods". That's where these tokens may come in: you can read them as a covert ad to have all your teeth pulled (sorry, Bart).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bart

Quote from: Figleaf
All this must have been big business for dentists, provided they could show they knew about these "new methods". That's where these tokens may come in: you can read them as a covert ad to have all your teeth pulled (sorry, Bart).

Peter

You mustn't be sorry, Peter. Having all your teeth pulled for a "beautiful" prothese was innovating at the time. It's true nowadays we want to save as much as possible, but we cannot judge our former collegues following the standards of today.

Bart

malj1

Here is a badge from a token lot received today.
manufactured by Fattorini.

[does not fit my collection though; so....]
Malcolm

lolo75002

Hi,
I'm now working on a book presenting French advertising tokens with one part dedicated to dentists.
You will find some on line. Not all are represented here.
Jetons de dentiste et produits associés ? Wikicollection : Rationnement, jetons
Best regards,
Laurent

Figleaf

Excellent, Laurent. Tenez-nous au courant.

A propos, nous cherchons une personne qui peut nous aider à établir une section dans World of Tokens pour les vignettes métallique françaises des impôts de bicyclettes. Comparez ici.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bagerap

Emile Magitot, friend of Zola and de Maupassant, doctor to Napoleon III and led the fight of medical dentistry, led by "stomatologists" with training reserved for doctors.
Célébrités d'antan (médecine)

malj1

A very interesting link you have given I shall return later to read in its entirety with Google translates help of course.
Malcolm