Author Topic: Indo-French Rupee (in the name of Shah Alam II, Arcot Mint)  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Indo-French Rupee (in the name of Shah Alam II, Arcot Mint)
« on: March 09, 2008, 07:03:18 AM »
Here is an Indo-French Rupee from my collection (looks like it was rescued from a fire  :(). Again, I could just about classify it using images of similar coins as a guide. Any help with the inscription would be welcome. The reverse has an year at the top left---AH 121?---I'm not sure about the last number (a variant of the numeral '4'?).

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 04:30:59 PM by Quant.Geek »

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Indo-French Rupee (in the name of Shah Alam II, Arcot Mint)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 09:41:32 AM »
I largely agree with your determination, although I think the coin is dated 1219, regnal year 44, which would make it KM 15. The regnal year is just to the right of the Arcot mint mark, a crescent with the open end facing up. I am no expert of Arabic, but KM says the coin is in the name of Shah Alam II, which could be the top line above the Arcot mint mark. I hope Rangnath or Oesho can answer that question better...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 10:54:47 PM »
The coin is indeed dated AH1219/Ry.44 (KM#15; C#46)
The 9 in this case engraved in retrograde.

Obverse: (bottom image) Legend from bottom to top
Sikka zad bar haft Kishwur / Sayaye Fazl, Shah Alam Bad Shah / elah Hami Din Mohammad.
(Struck coin in the seven Climes, the shadow of the divine favour, the emperor Shah Alam,  the defender of the faith of Muhammad).

Rev.: Legend from bottom to top
Zarb Arkat / sanat 44 julus / maimanet / manus
(Struck at Arkat in the year 44 of his reign of tranquil prosperity).

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 11:03:11 PM »
Nice going Peter!
And thanks for the detailed explanation Oesho.
richie

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 06:18:21 PM »
The coin is indeed dated AH1219/Ry.44 (KM#15; C#46)
The 9 in this case engraved in retrograde.

Obverse: (bottom image) Legend from bottom to top
Sikka zad bar haft Kishwur / Sayaye Fazl, Shah Alam Bad Shah / elah Hami Din Mohammad.
(Struck coin in the seven Climes, the shadow of the divine favour, the emperor Shah Alam,  the defender of the faith of Muhammad).

Rev.: Legend from bottom to top
Zarb Arkat / sanat 44 julus / maimanet / manus
(Struck at Arkat in the year 44 of his reign of tranquil prosperity).

Thanks Oesho.

I did a bit of reading on Indo-French coinage and found some very interesting information. It seems the French were pretty desperate to have their own coins in the mughal style, seeing the benefits enjoyed by their English rivals. After a series of failed negotiations with the mughal authorities (which started as early as 1718), they finally managed to obtain the necessary permission from the Nawab of Arcot (which cost them a huge sum of money). The silver Rupees that bore the mint name Arkat were actually minted at Pondicherry. These were issued in the names of mughal emperors Muhammad Shah, Ahmad Shah, Alamgir II, and Shah Alam II. Coins in the name of Shah Alam II continued to be minted even after his death in 1806 (till 1840, when the mint was closed). From 1817, a single Hijri year 1221, and the corresponding regnal year 45, appears on all coins.  Production of coins at the Pondicherry mint was halted between 1761-63, 1778-83, 1793-1802, and 1803-1816, periods during which the town was under English occupation.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 07:05:18 PM by Figleaf »