Author Topic: Akbar, Square Rupee, Ahmadabad, Ilahi 39, KM-88.1, month of Farwardin  (Read 1389 times)

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
A new addition to my budding Mughal coin collection. Akbar,Square rupee, Ahmadabad, Ilahi 39, KM-88.1, month of Farwardin. Please confirm the attribution. I would also appreciate your opinion on the coin as it would guide me in the right direction for future additions to my collection.
As always share picture if you have one.

Thanks
Bhushan

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Re: Akbar, Square Rupee, Ahmadabad, Ilahi 39, KM-88.1, month of Farwardin
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 12:15:37 PM »
Really good coin Bhushan!! Although Ahmedabad mint coins are among the common silver coins of Akbar, the square variety are less common than round vareity!
Dr.Abhishek

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:18:50 PM »
For Mughal coins, the first priority is to get a coin with as much as possible of the date, regnal year and mint name on the flan. That means, you would do well to pick up Arabic writing. I strongly recommend Arabic coins and how to read them by Richard Plant.

If reading the coin is a top priority, legends being clear is important also. Fortunately, Mughal coins are designed in broad and bold strokes with much relief, as your coin shows; I am convinced Mughal mints used hot striking.  Mughal coin "grading" may be summarised as: not completely legible, legible, date or mint on flan, date and mint on flan. A "rarity scale" might be: common, well known but difficult to find, found by accident only, discovery coin. There are several discovery coins on WoC.

Since even today, much is unknown about Mughal coins and unsubstantiated numismatic legends abound, they require research. You cannot rely on KM. This is where the WoC community comes in. If you like research, there are few fields as rewarding as Mughal coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 03:33:22 AM »
Really good coin Bhushan!! Although Ahmedabad mint coins are among the common silver coins of Akbar, the square variety are less common than round vareity!

Thanks a lot. These square rupees have a charm of their own.

For Mughal coins, the first priority is to get a coin with as much as possible of the date, regnal year and mint name on the flan. That means, you would do well to pick up Arabic writing. I strongly recommend Arabic coins and how to read them by Richard Plant.

If reading the coin is a top priority, legends being clear is important also. Fortunately, Mughal coins are designed in broad and bold strokes with much relief, as your coin shows; I am convinced Mughal mints used hot striking.  Mughal coin "grading" may be summarised as: not completely legible, legible, date or mint on flan, date and mint on flan. A "rarity scale" might be: common, well known but difficult to find, found by accident only, discovery coin. There are several discovery coins on WoC.

Since even today, much is unknown about Mughal coins and unsubstantiated numismatic legends abound, they require research. You cannot rely on KM. This is where the WoC community comes in. If you like research, there are few fields as rewarding as Mughal coins.

Peter

Thanks a lot. I have a copy of Richard Plant's book. All the information you provided is helpful. I have been going through Mughal Coin archives here on WoC.