Quick question on 1969 Pakistan 10 paisa KM#31

Started by Md. Shariful Islam, April 20, 2012, 08:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Md. Shariful Islam

I am sorry that I am asking question without picture. My 1969 Pakistan 10 paisa KM 31 seems like copper. I don't dare to scratch it to look under the coating. Krause mentions KM 31 as copper nickel and here I am confused. I need confirmation from veterans please.

Islam

@josephjk

Her's one for sale at delcampe - the image looks like a Cu-Ni coin
http://coins.delcampe.net/page/item/id,122822876,var,Pakistan-135-km-31-10-Paisa-1969,language,E.html

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: @josephjk on April 20, 2012, 09:31:17 PM
Her's one on sale at delcampe - the image looks like a Cu-Ni coin
http://coins.delcampe.net/page/item/id,122822876,var,Pakistan-135-km-31-10-Paisa-1969,language,E.html
Thanks Joseph. I shall try to capture pic of my coin. Hope that will capture what I see in bare eyes.

Md. Shariful Islam

Is this coin red because of red-oxide? Or it is copper?

Islam

Figleaf

Sorry, Tanka, but I think this coin was improperly cleaned and it is beyond salvage. Copper oxide is green.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: Figleaf on April 21, 2012, 05:18:37 PM
Sorry, Tanka, but I think this coin was improperly cleaned and it is beyond salvage. Copper oxide is green.

Peter

I am afraid, the coin is not cleaned. It has thick layer. And at hand the coin seems either of copper or a coin covered with something that I don't know but it is dark red.

villa66

To me it looks as if your coin has been exposed to high heat.

:'( v.

Md. Shariful Islam

For confirmation of the matter I removed a part of the coatings on the edge and found white metal inside.

@Villa: I actually don't know the history of the coin as the coin was a business coin and I recovered the coin from lost on earth :P during my childhood. But when I was trying to remove the coating from the edge, I found only red things. If it was burnt should that coat be red?

Islam

Figleaf

Ah! If it is red earth, the coin can be cleaned. Soak in soapy water and attack dirt with a wooden toothpick from time to time. Repeat as often as necessary. When you are happy with the result, wash soap off and dry really well (sunshine does a great job drying thoroughly.) There may be a nicely preserved coin underneath and all it takes to take it out is patience.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.