Author Topic: UK local transportation tokens  (Read 97448 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: UK local transportation tokens
« Reply #375 on: June 08, 2018, 12:01:17 PM »
I should have added weights.

The genuine token 730 PB is 2.7g

The fantasy 730 YA is heavier at 3.9g
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #376 on: October 24, 2018, 12:02:13 PM »
Another batch of Glasgow 2 stage tokens acquired in a job lot this week.

Several variations in the arms.

I feel that one you list is plastic, the size implies plastic too.

I have four of these 2 Stage tokens in plastic in varying shades of red, 21.5mm., along with one larger fibre token, 23.7mm that is quite different, the reverse having much larger font.

Edit; Another Glasgow 2 stage added today. rev. legend nicely spaced - see right-hand token the other is left-hand in Epa3054; obv see space between upper and lower legend.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #377 on: October 24, 2018, 01:08:51 PM »
They must have found a way to make them all different. ;) I hope you will find mules. They would link different varieties in time, so that at some time, someone would be able to make sense of the mess.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #378 on: February 12, 2021, 08:03:50 AM »
It's already on WoT, but it's so magnificent I can't resist presenting it here also.

At 31.8 mm, it is larger than a contemporary British penny (30.8 mm), but it is thinner, resulting in a weight of 7.0 gram, while the pennies came in at 9.45 gram. The design is totally different making it look like a penny and yet feel different.

The Yorkshire Woollen District Electric Tramways was part of British Electric Tramways (BET), an institution, once the largest operator of tramways on the British Isles, now receding in history.

I am not sure that WOLLEN is a spelling error, though it may be. There are close connections between Dutch and Lowland dialects. Since wollen is the correct spelling in Dutch, it may have been correct in a Yorkshire dialect also.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #379 on: February 20, 2021, 06:51:29 PM »
Simmons Gallery are selling the Breingan collection of Scottish transport tokens and passes here,
https://simmonsgallery.co.uk/category/auction/

Breingan also authored a small book on Scottish transport tokens, so I assume these are the pieces illustrated.

I have asked Simmons Gallery if we can use some of their images.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 07:07:24 PM by andyg »
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #380 on: February 20, 2021, 10:55:18 PM »
I received an OK to use the images, as long as we place appropriate credit for the images.
There are 9 transport tokens we didn't have images of which I will upload tomorrow.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #381 on: February 20, 2021, 11:09:28 PM »
Very fast work; well done! I was planning to download all of them, and sort them out later, but that would have meant sorting out over 500 lots. I am relieved for you, but I'll admit to hoping there would be more. Still, it will be a great addition of very scarce tokens in top condition. Let me know if I can help editing or placing the pictures!

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #382 on: February 21, 2021, 06:21:05 PM »
And they are on-site already. Thank you, andyg! Just go to WoT and do a search for Simmons to see them all. Don't forget that in WoT you can click on catalogue pictures at the largest available size. Compare that with making a list  of pictures with the same photo credit in a paper book.

While you are there, three WoC members are busily constructing a section on Swedish amusement tokens. Maybe it will inspire you.

Peter

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #383 on: Today at 12:00:39 AM »
I'm not sure what the purpose of these are. They're obviously a Leeds issue because of the city coat of arms. Could someone identify then for me. Many thanks.

Bruce
Always Faithful