UK local transportation tokens

Started by africancoins, December 29, 2010, 11:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Quote from: scroggs on September 17, 2016, 03:27:10 PM
as for the logo dating i found this

5p issued October 1991, 10p May 1990 and 50p was first issued 1st June 1995...

There is an addenda to the Smiths catalogue, which I now have - but have not yet added the tokens to WOC.  I made a start this morning!
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/wiki/Special:RecentChanges
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

Here is a token for the blind from my Christmas loot. It is from the Bristol Tramways and Carriage Company. The odd thing about it is the cut corner. Voice illustrates this type noting that the type is (...) rectangular with varying numbers of corners removed. However, in his catalogue list, he notes that the 2 1/2 penny has no missing corners, the 2 pence misses one corner, the 1 1/2 penny two corners and the penny three corners, so the missing corners are prolly meant as a tactile identification aid for the blind.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Mine has the same corner clipped. see below...

also the fibre token.

Yes to serve as an aid for the blind. (I thought I had shown these previously?)

Voice is not to be relied on and should be used with the caution. Smith agrees with the tokens shown here and notes the 2½d is rare as only 250 made.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Rodan61

Wallsend 812AB
THE TYNESIDE TRAMWAYS & TRAMROADS COMPANY / 1d :)
Antonio

Figleaf

Nice one, Antonio. Have you visited World of Tokens (WoT) yet? You'll like the Swedish and UK transport token sections. You're free to start a section yourself or to contribute to existing sections. Let us know if you need help.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rodan61

Thanks Peter, I am very interested in the Swedish transport tokens but I cannot find the link at the WoT. Antonio

Rodan61

I found the link!  ;D ..... I have yet to discover the whole site.

malj1

Have fun! there is a lot to discover there and we are still building and hoping for more contributions.
Malcolm

andyg

Some while ago I found what might have been an unlisted token with "WYPTE Leeds District" and "Sov. St."
We knew Sovereign Street was the site of a bus depot, but it's use remained uncertain.  This last week I acquired a few more (pictured below) - one of which still has a metal ring attached.  I now think the purpose of these items to be key rings, to tell whoever had the keys what they were for,  Drivers of buses would likely have had keys for toilets or break areas, possibly even late turn keys to let them in the gates for the depot at the end of their shift - perhaps we'll never know.  It is unlikely though that these are tokens....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

Excellent stuff, andyg. No tokens, indeed, but that was doubtful to begin with in view of the holes. Still, part of the bus/plastic love affair and arguably part of the story of the tokens.

I am wondering if the plastics may not have been chipped, in other words, they WERE the keys: you'd hold them against the lock and buzzz - open sesame. It would be a handy safety measure in the sense that the system could be made aware which key-hangers no longer had right of access, e.g. in case of loss, retirement or job change. It would also explain the address on them.

Peter

plasticman

They are clearly made out of plastic and that suggests thousands (or hundreds at least) because you wouldn't create a mould for a handful of copies. Does this fit in with your thoughts I wonder?

malj1

They could also have been for attaching to a locker key.

I notice one is marked Leeds City Transport which suggest an earlier set of key tags than the others bearing WYPTE.
Malcolm

scroggs

The first two are NCT Newport Corporation Tramways tokens , slight variants .
The third i presume is a Newport Transport token as it is very similar , anyone know for sure?

Figleaf

Are you calling the first token a variant because the distance between the N and the logo is different? It looks like the letters are slightly lighter and the dots smaller, but that could be due to wear or lighting.

As for the NT token, we found that NCT became NT in 1986. The logo is the same and the denomination side is practically the same, so even though I haven't see this token before, I have no trouble accepting it as a post 1986 bus token of Newport.

Peter