UK local transportation tokens

Started by africancoins, December 29, 2010, 11:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

Or... has it been cut down from the larger token? brass 26mm

...or struck on a small blank?   ???
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

NEWPORT CORPORATION TRANSPORT EMPLOYEES TRAVEL PERMIT REV. 514 stamped out celluloid sheet 50mm.

You can go anywhere you like but not on service 30  :o
Malcolm

Figleaf

That makes it pre-1986. However, I have not been able to establish when Newport Corporation Tramways became Newport Corporation Transport. I suspect it was somewhere in the thirties.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Before 1973 issue when 550 BA N.C.T. was Newport CITY Transport.

Five types of the EMPLOYEES TRAVEL PERMIT are listed in Smith; my one above is 550 PG

Newport Corporation Tramways
From Wikipedia
Open    9 April 1903
Close    5 September 1937
Malcolm

plasticman

The red version is nice, 550PI, I have another red one numbered 578. Just to add another, 550PD which appeared to replace the brass version.

Figleaf

The 1937 date is when the Tramway network was closed. The name change may have been earlier.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

I swear every Glasgow 2 STAGE token I see is different.

However this one is most decidedly so.
Malcolm

plasticman

It looks to me as though the impression is too shallow, which suggests too cold when moulding or not enough pressure. Has anyone published a list of variants on this common token I wonder? Quite apart from massive colour variations, I have just looked at 8 in my collection. The foot of the '2' varies, also the position of the top of the arms with the first 'o' in 'corporation'. I am sure that there are other variants too.

malj1

I should have mentioned both side of that one are incuse but only partly so, rather like the letters are in outline. Yes if too cold the letters wouldn't have been filled I imagine.

Yes we have made an attempt at a list of variants previously but Peter's and my own ideas differed a little.

See First attempt at a typology of Glasgow 2 stage tokens

Also here
Malcolm

malj1

Halifax Corporation Tramways Lavatory No.240 uniface Brass 31.2mm

Malcolm

malj1

An unlisted Derby Corporation Omnibuses 1½d in copper. 23.2mm

See Reply #325 for some brass examples.
Malcolm

africancoins

I am not convinced that is not just heavy toning due to the piece having been in a certain type of ground....

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

malj1

Definitely copper as I scraped the edge slightly to reveal the pink colour.

Posted it on Facebook Transportation Tokens Collectors Group too where it was confirmed by Alan Judd who also has one.
Malcolm

Figleaf

Very interesting, Malcolm, but also mysterious. Bus drivers would be confused by the different colour of the token (a variety of World of Tokens DCO.0015a, it would seem) yet your token seems to have circulated. So was this a production error or a well-considered decision? As there seem very few around and this is the only denomination known in bronze an error seems more likely.

It seems too well made and of too low a value to be a contemporary counterfeit and a modern counterfeiter would have used the correct metal and would likely have picked an older type with an attractive picture. So why was it accepted? Was it maybe already sold in some quantity before the error was discovered and declared valid to simplify things? As it is less than 100 years old, there may be a paper trail or a local museum that actually answers its email...

In any case, it would be good to have it in WoT. Could Alan Judd be persuaded to contribute his knowledge to WoT?

Peter

malj1

A Paisley District Tramways Co. hexagonal aluminium ½d uploaded to WoT today.
Malcolm