Author Topic: UK local transportation tokens  (Read 88074 times)

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
UK local transportation tokens
« on: December 29, 2010, 11:18:56 PM »
The first "NATIONAL TRANSPORT TOKEN" pieces were issued in 1973. I would reckon the 2 latest pieces shown by figleaf will be from the 1970's - I have had mine (think I have both) for a long time.

The earliest British transport tokens must be those older (must be Victorian) oval ones usually with a horse drawn carriage depicted along with legends detailing denomination (several pence), issuer name, town/city and the word "OMNIBUS".

The transit tokens in "early" plastics such as celluloid go back to the 1920's (perhaps a little earlier) and they are usually of the general style of the Johannesburg transit token shown at...

http://www.wbcc.fsnet.co.uk/aftsou4.htm

Somehow there are areas of the country that are yet to get onto the idea of the "National Transport Tokens" - earlier this year I got a piece that at the time I described as follows:-

British Transport Token - Central “50p” with “WOKINGHAM DISTRICT COUNCIL” above-around // two lines centrally “EXPIRES” / “31-03-09” with “CONCESSIONARY FARES TOKEN” above-around. White plastic, same shape and slightly smaller than current G.B. 50 Pence coin (25mm).

Likely that local authority will soon issue tokens that expire at the end of March 2012. But how can such a system be easier/cheaper than the "National Transport Tokens" system ?

From current use - it would seem that there are very few metallic British transport tokens other than the National Transport Tokens.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
Re: UK local transportation tokens
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 11:53:26 PM »
British Transport Token - Central “50p” with “WOKINGHAM DISTRICT COUNCIL” above-around // two lines centrally “EXPIRES” / “31-03-09” with “CONCESSIONARY FARES TOKEN” above-around. White plastic, same shape and slightly smaller than current G.B. 50 Pence coin (25mm).

Stafford borough issued plastic tokens upto the introduction of the new national free bus pass scheme, which, thinking about it, would have been early 2007.  I had thought that the district tokens would have ceased at this point but as ever there is exception to the rule.  Wokingham even now offer their own tokens instead of a national bus pass - but they have restrictions, if you have ever had a national bus pass you cannot switch to the tokens.
One wonders with the impending cuts (around 25 to 40%) to the UK concessionary fares budget how much longer these small local authorities will continue to go their own way.  The give away that Peter's aluminium tokens are from the 70's is the decimal 'p' and the value, with an average fare of around £1.55 one would need 78 two pence tokens each time you bought a ticket.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:11:17 AM »
From current use - it would seem that there are very few metallic British transport tokens other than the National Transport Tokens.

Here is one, a brass token from Darlington, coming in at 1.9 grams, 16.6-17.0 mm. The crown was added to the arms in 1974.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline humpybong

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »

Ooooooh I like that...I collect transport token and have a strong collection of ferry tokens and passes from Australia.

Also have a few UK and USA transport (bus, train and tram) tokens.

:)
Barry

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 12:31:23 PM »
OK, I'll add some plastic tokens to this thread. There is a thread on US transportation tokens here and an Australian transportation token here. It would be good if you could open a thread on Australian tokens or add to these threads if possible.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 01:16:55 PM »
Nottingham's rates look incredibly low to me. The lowest I remember paying for a bus ride to school was 25 cent. At the time there were about ƒ8 to the pound, so I paid 1/32th pound or 7-1/2 penny, while a Nottingham pupil could do the same for a halfpenny.

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 02:49:19 PM »
Here is a nice series from Newcastle. The colours are brighter in reality, but in this way, the lettering is more legible. All tokens have the coat of arms. Note the placement of the dot and the D on the value side. Diameters vary between 21.8 and 22.6 mm.

Added halfpenny red and pennies blue and pale orange. The blue penny in two varieties is interesting. I wonder why Newcastle needed different colour pennies. Perhaps it was a way to stop reimbursement of old tokens?
Added yet another penny, this one in air force blue, plus a neat 7 pence. The higher values are more difficult to find.
Added three halfpence baby blue, 3 pence with a low D, small dot penny and two sad grey three halfpence that seem to be made from different material and are of different size.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:24:57 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 03:11:37 PM »
Here is Accrington's contribution to my happiness. You are looking at a 22.1 mm token.

Fourpence and tuppence added. Arms added. The ship-like object in the second horizontal band from above is a weaving shuttle. The device below that is a textile printing cylinder printing a piece of calico (paisley pattern).

Peter
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:07:22 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 04:37:27 PM »
Kingston-upon Hull issued a black token my scanner couldn't handle. It has the coat of arms in the centre (see below) with "Kingston-upon Hull" above an "city transport" below. The reverse says "10p". Diameter is 25.2 mm.

Peter

I have added the 20p, which has a more merciful colour.
Added 5 p blue
Added 2 p orange and 3 p yellow
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:43:20 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 04:56:56 PM »
East Lindsey is part of Lincolnshire. This toke is 25.3 mm.

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 06:49:26 PM »
I had never heard of Southport. It's not in the South, but it has public transportation, hence this 22.3 mm token. Decimal tokens of Southport are here

Peter
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:11:21 PM by Figleaf »

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 09:31:32 PM »
I had thought that the district tokens would have ceased at this point but as ever there is exception to the rule.  Wokingham even now offer their own tokens instead of a national bus pass -

and not any more. since the new concessionary travel scheme from 1/4/2011 is administered by counties rather than districts (think mid tier government rather than bottom tier) these small local schemes have ended.  I'd be very surprised to find any county issuing their own tokens at the moment, just the national travel tokens.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 10:01:20 PM »
I have a Wokingham one from not too long ago... description...

The Newcastle group shown earlier in this topic is typical of the small range of tokens for many other areas.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 10:23:32 PM »
Unless someone tells me I'm dead wrong, I'll continue to believe that GCT stands for Glasgow Corporation Transport, though it could conceivable stand for Glasgow Corporation Tramways. I was dead wrong. GCT means Grimsby-Cleethorpes Transport. See next post. The token is 22.6 mm.

Added a fourpence and an 18 pence that is the same on both sides.
Added a white return to Immingham; JSCS: John Sutcliffe & Co. Stevedores.
Added a blue return to Immingham; BTDB: British Transport Docks Board. Like the white return, it looks like a grey token painted.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 01:30:26 PM by Figleaf »

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 10:39:57 PM »
This "G.C.T." token was issued by "Grimsby Cleethorpes Transport" - introduced 1956. Source: the catalogue by Smith mentioned earlier.

Tokens of "Glasgow Croporation Tramways" were followed by those of "Glasgow Croporation Transport" - a similar thing is seen for many other town/cities.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker