Author Topic: Variants of the Luxembourg 2 commemorative 2004  (Read 2662 times)

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
Variants of the Luxembourg 2 commemorative 2004
« on: March 25, 2008, 04:12:16 PM »
There has been doubt where to post this, as it concerns both circulatibg 2 coins and non-circulating 2 coins.
There are variants of the Luxembourg 2 commemorative 2004 (The coin with the big H).
Under a strong magnifying glass one can see that the crown and the big H are composed of a number of tiny H's.
On the coins in the BU-sets and in the Coincards these tiny H's are facing to the upper right.
On the circulating coins and the coins in the Proofsets these tiny H's are facing to the upper left.
Another difference that can be seen even with the naked eye is that on the coins in the BU-sets and the Coincard the big H is placed somewhat lower (look at the position of Henry's nose).
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Variants of the Luxembourg 2 commemorative 2004
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 04:32:02 PM »
This destroys one of my theories. I'd have thought that the dies for BU coins would be the same as the die for circulation coins, while the dies for proofs could be used for proofs only. For that reason, I thought that BU coins could be considered as equivalent to circulation coins, but better taken care of. If the dies are specially prepared, they're just as non-circulating as proofs.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
Variants of the Luxembourg 2 commemoratives 2005 and 2006
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:31:22 PM »
While the original Luxembourg 2 commemoratives 2005 and 2006 were struck in Finland by Rahapaja Oy, a new Proofset now is issued, including all Luxembourg 2 commemoratives up to now. The 2005 and 2006 coins (restrikes) are minted by French MdP in Pessac, and the difference is easy to see. In the picture below the Finnish originals are in the top row, and the new French restrikes are in the bottom row. Apart from the mintmarkts, there also is an F in one of the stars: In the #5 star for 2005, and in the #7 star for 2006.
Regards,
a3v1
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline blackev

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 09:16:18 PM »
On the coins in the BU-sets and in the Coincards these tiny H's are facing to the upper right.
On the circulating coins and the coins in the Proofsets these tiny H's are facing to the upper left.

Are the restrikes facing to the upper right or left?

-blackev

Offline Miguel.mateo

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 01:08:28 AM »
Does any one know if in the restrike of the 2004 coin the little H that makes the crown and the big H ar efacing up left or up right?  It is worth to clarify that ...

Thanks,
Miguel

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 05:59:51 PM »
Does any one know if in the restrike of the 2004 coin the little H that makes the crown and the big H ar efacing up left or up right?  It is worth to clarify that ...
Sorry for not having replied sooner. I've had the coins for some time but couldn't find my magnifying glass that is strong enough to see the difference.
Today I am able to report that the 2008 restrike of the 2004 coin is just like the common circulation coin. The tiny H's are facing top left.
Regards,
a3v1
-------------