News:

The Grand Event: an all-stars happening. Make sure you don't miss it!

Main Menu

Phoenician coin of Carteia in Spain

Started by capnbirdseye, March 30, 2012, 07:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

Not sure if this is Roman, left image figure with trident, right image- I can't make out which way up it goes, looks like an alien running away  ;D ;D

weight 3.05g   AE17mm
Vic

natko

Obverse is obviously head right, trident behind and something like W below, might be part of a script. Reverse might be a bird, or better, a fish, could be a dolphin;D

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=227131 this one reminds me a lot, but I see those Phoenicians have counter marks.

So I identify it as another Phoenician coin of Carteia in Spain. Alien running, that's something what I saw first, too :D Nice piece, congrats!

http://coinproject.com/coin_detail.php?coin=260011

capnbirdseye

Thank you natco,that's an amazing bit of detective work,  I'll Google it & see if I can find a coin with the same head, I can see now the winged figure of Cupid on a dolphin ( I'd rather it was an alien  ;D I'll redo the photo with the coin turned the right way.
The W might be an M at the end of a word across the top of the coin.
Vic
Vic

natko

Yes, actually I believe it's the very same coin.

capnbirdseye

I've not been able to find a similar coin with head & trident on Google images using the info you gave me, there are a few with the Dolphin but not the same head
Vic

akona20

There is one possible other coin but it was only in silver and it was Roman.

However at this point in time I think the identification is correct. I would like to see diameter and weight though to check whether it is a quadrans.

capnbirdseye

I Don't know why I didn't put the weight etc.

weight 3.05g   AE17mm

Vic

akona20

That puts it in the frame for a quadrans of of Carteia.

capnbirdseye

Final identification as:-

Turreted female hd. r. , trident behind, CARTEIA before / Winged Genius riding on dolphin r.
Carteia ( Roman colony founded in 171 BC).  2nd-1st c. BC, SGCV I, 68.
Vic