News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

korea 1893 fun(year 502)

Started by hobaek, March 23, 2012, 11:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobaek

The coin is Korea Fun year 502(1893)
There's many corrosion spread over the coin.
Should NCS can remove or clean this?

Figleaf

This is a brass coin. I have not found any method to clean brass without ruining the coin (using ammonia, which is sometimes recommended, will ruin the coin.) The only thing I can think of is washing the coin with soft soap, rinsing the soap away and drying well, but that may do nothing at all.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

I'd leave it as it is, even if the cleaning aids available weren't otherwise problematic. Yes, it's a slightly strange colour, but the tarnishing doesn't make it difficult to identify the coin or read/look at specific design elements and personally I don't think it looks particularly ugly either. It's a better example than mine of the same issue!

gxseries

I can only recommand olive oil for copper coins. This will work on brass, bronze as well. Perhaps you can try verdi-care - I've used it and it works well too. Has to be imported from the US   

That sure is a tough coin! Mine is heavily damaged and I haven't found a better example since then.

natko

Funny denomination but wonderful coin and I would also leave it be like this. If that is some kind of paint you can try thinner of course, which can't do harm to metal and can remove a bit of ugly corrosion, but wash it well later.