Recommendation for book on Mughal coins.

Started by PeaceBD, March 22, 2012, 06:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeaceBD

I am slowly getting enamored by Mughal coins. I have a few coins which I would like to learn to read. I can read the numbers and reading over the past posts on WOC have learned a few things. I already have the SCWC series which though helpful in identifying the coins has its on issues. I also have a small booklet from Reesha books on Mughal coins which I think has helped a little but the quality of reference pics is really bad. I would appreciate if  members of WOC would recommend a good reference book which would be good addition to my numismatic library and a go-to reference on Mughal Coins.

Thanks
Bhushan

abhinumis

I've started with Akbar and planning to collect mint wise.. For Akbar coins I'm using Liddle. Costed me around 750 INR. It's really good
Dr.Abhishek

Figleaf

Have a look here. Quite a few of the books listed can be downloaded. I also recommend this thread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

PeaceBD

Quote from: abhinumis on March 22, 2012, 09:09:06 AM
I've started with Akbar and planning to collect mint wise.. For Akbar coins I'm using Liddle. Costed me around 750 INR. It's really good
Abhishek, thanks for tip. Is the book easily available in India . I am having a hard time finding it here.
Quote from: Figleaf on March 23, 2012, 09:27:16 PM
Have a look here. Quite a few of the books listed can be downloaded. I also recommend this thread.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I have downloaded a few of them.

Bhushan

birder

Another recommendation would be Rajwant Rao, Dept of Ancient History, Archaeology & Culture, University of Gorakhpur, Gorakhpur.

Figleaf

Quote from: birder on March 24, 2012, 02:21:44 AM
With respect to books on Indian coins, I am disppointed that the eminent Indian Historian Professor Vasudev Upadhyay (also spelt Upadhyaye or Upadhyaya) who retired as the Head, Department of History, Patna University has not been mentioned anywhere on this forum.

It is now. If you want a book to be included in the bibliography, just start a thread on it, as capnbirdseye did for Goron/Goenka. However, one of my shortcomings is my inability to read Nagari, so the title, author and ISBN would be very helpful, or give the info to the moderator of this board, Paisepagal.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.