Author Topic: Italy's 2008 2 euro special circulation coin  (Read 2182 times)

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
Italy's 2008 2 euro special circulation coin
« on: March 13, 2008, 12:00:05 PM »
A pic of the new Italian 2 euro special circulation coin is now to be seen at the ECB website. The coin is dedicated to the 60th Anniversary of the Declaration of Human Rights. Its mintage figure will be 2,500,000.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline Bookworm

Re: Italy's 2008 2 euro special circulation coin
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 06:47:14 PM »
I wonder what the couple is examining with such keenness... Whatever it is, the lady seems amused...

Aldo

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 11:09:35 AM »
Having fun is a human right too. I wonder if the picture should not be turned a few degrees clockwise, so the banner becomes balanced. Or is the whole design meant to be baroquely unbalanced?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 11:57:48 AM »
The designer of this coin, Maria Carmela Colaneri, has succeeded very well in depicting what human rights are all about: Men and women are equal; the wheat-ear, cogwheel, olive branch and broken barbed wire are expressing the right to food, labour, peace, and freedom. She did much better than the Belgian and Portugese designers who couldnt come beyond a textual design.

Having fun is a human right too. I wonder if the picture should not be turned a few degrees clockwise, so the banner becomes balanced. Or is the whole design meant to be baroquely unbalanced?
@ Peter,
Maria Carmela Colaneri is well-known for her unusual and unconventional designs. Other eurocoins she designed are:
Italy 2 standard coin (portrait of Dante Alighieri)
Italy 2 commemorative 2005 (European Constitution)
Italy 2 commemorative 2006 (Olympic Winter Games)
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 01:31:50 PM »
If the image were rotated a bit to even the banner, the symbol above it would be crooked.  Looks right like it is but I don't know.

Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »
When you know more, you see more. Thanks a3v1.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 11:55:15 AM »
Here is another picture. Looks like a combination of photo and computer graphics to me, but you can already see more details. The coin will probably be issued in September. As for the mintage, the 2.5 million that a3v1 mentioned is probably right - that is the figure according to the Italian government bulletin (Gazzetta Ufficiale). The EU Official Journal however says the mintage will be 5 million. ??? http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2008:089:0010:0010:EN:PDF  Could simply be an error. Perhaps somebody mixed the number of pieces and the total face value volume up ...

Christian