Author Topic: 1871 Portuguese India 3 Reis KM#301  (Read 2657 times)

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
1871 Portuguese India 3 Reis KM#301
« on: July 02, 2012, 05:51:36 AM »
1871 Portuguese India 3 reis. KM#301. Ruler: Luiz I. With mintage of just 52,000 building a set for this year in uncirulated  grade is going to be challenging. Most of these I have seen offered are either in low grades or damaged. I was happy to grab this one when it was offered. The coin is virtually mark free and evenly brown through out except for a small dark spot at the date. Let me know what you guys think. Share pics if you have any coins of this year series.

Thanks
Bhushan

Offline Harry

• Meritorious Member
  • Collect British India, Straits coins & papermoney.
Re: 1871 Portuguese India 3 Reis KM#301
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 05:39:54 PM »
Bhushan,  Very nice coin! Although I don’t know much about Portuguese India coins looks like a 1871 coin with a mintage of 57,000 will be quite scarce to find in Unc. Congrats!

The NGC labeling format is quite odd.  I wonder why they did put “3 REIS” instead of “3R”, which without looking at the coin, one could think it would stand for “3 Rupees”
Collector of British India, Straits Settlements, Malaya, East Africa coins and papermoney

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
Bhushan,  Very nice coin! Although I don’t know much about Portuguese India coins looks like a 1871 coin with a mintage of 57,000 will be quite scarce to find in Unc. Congrats!

The NGC labeling format is quite odd.  I wonder why they did put “3 REIS” instead of “3R”, which without looking at the coin, one could think it would stand for “3 Rupees”

Harry, thanks a lot. A very interesting observation on the TPG label. I know they have not been consistent with their labeling. I have a few slabs which clearly spell out the denomination as rupee and then there are some which denote rupee with a "R". I think they are still trying to wrap their brains around so many denominations in Indian numismatics.  :P ;)

Offline brokencompass

• I collect British India Presidencies, Uniform coinage, Princely States, Table medals and other colonial Indian coins.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 09:27:14 PM »
I am always amazed by your eye for super high grade coins of every series and your photography skills! Great coin!
My goal for 2017 is to finish finish my British India copper collection (1/4 anna, 1/2 Pice and 1/12 anna) by year and Mintmark. Any help with missing coins in BU grades is highly appreciated.
https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/MySets_Listing.aspx?PeopleSetID=130880

Offline Harry

• Meritorious Member
  • Collect British India, Straits coins & papermoney.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:50:43 PM »
I am always amazed by your eye for super high grade coins of every series and your photography skills! Great coin!

I'm no longer amazed, its now "expected" from Bhushan, I'll be amazed if he posts a coin that's graded below MS63... and if it has a small rim nick or a minor hairline scratch, I'll be shocked!!!! :o
Collector of British India, Straits Settlements, Malaya, East Africa coins and papermoney

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:00:35 PM »
I'm no longer amazed, its now "expected" from Bhushan, I'll be amazed if he posts a coin that's graded below MS63... and if it has a small rim nick or a minor hairline scratch, I'll be shocked!!!! :o
Wow! Guys I have made and still make a lot of mistakes too when buying coins. I do have coins in lower grades too. :( Depending on the series we get a fair idea in what grade most coins are available. If I can pay a little more and get a better piece I choose to do that. I have learned one thing in numismatics " If you see a flaw in the coin the first time you see it, that is all what you will see everytime you pickup the coin if you decide to own it." ;)

Offline The Oracle

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 05:51:18 PM »
1871 Portuguese India 3 reis. KM#301. Ruler: Luiz I. With mintage of just 52,000 building a set for this year in uncirulated  grade is going to be challenging. Most of these I have seen offered are either in low grades or damaged. I was happy to grab this one when it was offered. The coin is virtually mark free and evenly brown through out except for a small dark spot at the date. Let me know what you guys think. Share pics if you have any coins of this year series.

Thanks
Bhushan

great

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 07:48:23 PM »